Planting green beans/peas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For reference, I've had pole beans reach 20 feet or more of vine length. For a raised bed, I'd definitely go bush.

Note, bush tend to produce all at once, pole produce continually and usually much more.

Peas need to climb as well.
Also bush beans can be planted couple times during the growing season, they mature in 60 days or less.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
photo#1. my most advanced beans planted about 2'0" apart and just beginning to flower. It's summer here in the southern hemisphere. These have been planted amongst a diverse collection of plants - Amaranthus, sunflowers, basil, thyme, parsley, tomatoes and more. Remember that beans and peas are every plants' companion. If you lose some of your peas and beans plant other things amongst them.
photo#2. making a liar of myself this is a monoculture of dwarf beans planted about 18" apart. You see they will join and overlap before they have finished.
I will photograph the polyculture bed as soon as the sun and my camera cooperate.
Hello. You mention that both beans and peas are every plants' companion. I would like to plant beans (pole) with my asparagus although much of what I've read online recommends not too. Something about peas are fine but beans compete with asparagus for the same nutrients. Any help on this topic is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I would like to plant beans (pole) with my asparagus although much of what I've read online recommends not too.
Asparagus, strawberries, rhubarb and others like globe artichokes are the perennial cops of the vegetable world and I have always grown them alone. I have never planted peas or beans between any of them so I don't know if any harm could be done.
I won't be trying it because the introduction of pole frames amongst the asparagus mounds would be destructive to the asparagus roots, which are very extensive. Asparagus grow in the same spot for twenty years.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I won't be trying it because the introduction of pole frames amongst the asparagus mounds would be destructive to the asparagus roots
I remember now that asparagus beds were once salted to kill the weeds because asparagus were tolerant of salt. Beans are killed by the least bit of salinity. So you have probably picked an exception to the general rule that 'peas and beans are companions to all plants'....
...although, don't plant them in the desert next to cactus either. LOL.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is suggested tomatoes and asparagus form a symbiotic relationship. Tomatoes produce a colorless alkaloid (solanine) that repels asparagus beetles. In turn, asparagus repel tubular shaped nematodes that feed on tomato roots. There are also a couple of herbs that benefit both. I may undergo a trial run keeping in mind it is asparagus plants that take center stage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Haven't planted green beans or peas before.
Soon will be time to plant  green beans/peas in zone 7a. When temps become 50° its time to plant.
I will be planting in a 4×8 raised bed, thinking half green beans, half peas. I have read plant in rows 24-36" apart. Not sure why.
I'm not driving a tractor in my raised bed. Maybe it needs that much space to grow.
The other thing is I read don't fertilize before planting. Wait until the first set true leaves appear then fertilize with low nitrogen and shouldn't need any further fertilizer.
On another site read fertilize every 2-3 weeks until harvest.
It's really hard to find anything out.
I should find my answer here.
Peas are a cool-weather vegetable. It would be the first thing you plant outdoors from seed. I don't know where you are, I am in Zone 6 -7 and here we plant them on St. Patrick's Day. They are usually gone by June. Green beans are a normal-soil temp plant, so I would plant them mid-April to May 1, depending on weather.

Ask a Question