Planting a no-till garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yeah, the bermuda looks gorgeous in our lawn. Mows down like a golf course if you want and can take the Tennessee summer dry spell. But that toughness is a big drawback in the garden! It is deeply rooted and spreads by seed/stolon/runner. Makes me wanna buy RoundUp! (dag nab it all!)
-Johntodd

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, the bermuda looks gorgeous in our lawn. Mows down like a golf course if you want and can take the Tennessee summer dry spell. But that toughness is a big drawback in the garden! It is deeply rooted and spreads by seed/stolon/runner. Makes me wanna buy RoundUp! (dag nab it all!)
-Johntodd
I haven't seen anything that will kill it dead except for 2-4D and that stuff is permanent in your soil

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, we call Bermuda Grass, "Couch Grass".

Below is a link describing how to deal with it organically.
Seems the best way, if you take it one area at a time, when you have to initially dig a no-till/no-dig garden anyway:

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/allotment/couch-grass-1.asp

Once you have cleared the area, and trenched round it, as soon as any little bits remaining grow back, you could treat them with a weed wand, which is also chemical free.
You don't burn it right out; it works by altering the DNA of weeds so that they die above and below the surface.

It also has a small working area, so you could take out Bermuda grass which is growing BETWEEN your plants, with no backache.

Reaction score
I am going to have to check this out! I am really not sure that I have ever seen one but it may be a case of that I know the look but not the name.

Ask a Question