Plant or tree you wish to have but doesn't grow in your place?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish I could have the large Palm trees you see in Florida and the tropics in my area. I think they are so graceful.

Reaction score
I have always wanted an avocado tree. Alabama soil is too sandy and/or clay-like to sustain much plantlife that is not used to the soil. An avocado tree would not survive in our soil.

Reaction score
I have always wanted an avocado tree. Alabama soil is too sandy and/or clay-like to sustain much plantlife that is not used to the soil. An avocado tree would not survive in our soil.

Hi and welcome. We have some avocado trees that can grow here in New Orleans but it's risky cause they're very tender in below freezing weather. They make very nice trees though and I've been tempted to start one in a pot. Wouldn't expect fruits but who knows haha.

Reaction score
How many times can you attempt a plant you really want but fail many times...Peonies, bane of my purse. I must have bought half a dozen but still nothing, no flower only leaves.

I went to my sisters last week and her Peonies are like footballs literally, I gave her the plant years ago when I got three for one deal.

:(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When we lived in California I fell in love with the bourgainvillea plant it is too cold where I live now for the plant.
th

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like tropical type plants but living in Kansas I am not really able to grow them. However I did read that somewhere in Kansas this guy built this tropical environment type of greenhouse (kinda) where he has banana trees growing that some type of tropical fish. He built it for his dads becasue he was on a strict diet for the rest of hs life and the fish and bananas where one of the main foods he ate. It sounds interesting for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
When we lived in California I fell in love with the bourgainvillea plant it is too cold where I live now for the plant.
th
I agree Pat. I love bourgainvillea and whilst they do grow in Australia they don't where I live. My in laws in Perth Western Australia have magnificent ones. I did try when I first started gardening about 6 years ago now but it didn't survive:(

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to grow an Empress tree, princess tree, foxglove-tree, kiri, or Paulownia tomentosa. It's just very pretty when it flowers but open enough that you can plant flowers and other sun loving plants under it. But it's considered invasive in the USA because of how fast it grows. I just love the flowers though, they kind of remind me of a cross between orchids and irises.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We love persimmons and although it doesn't grow in tropical place like ours, we tried to plant the seed of the persimmon that we had bought last year. Surprisingly, the seed germinated and 2 leaves sprang up followed by another leaf and then another. It was about 3 inches tall. However, it remained that size for several months until it died just this month. Now we have come to terms that some trees really have their own habitat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We love persimmons and although it doesn't grow in tropical place like ours, we tried to plant the seed of the persimmon that we had bought last year. Surprisingly, the seed germinated and 2 leaves sprang up followed by another leaf and then another. It was about 3 inches tall. However, it remained that size for several months until it died just this month. Now we have come to terms that some trees really have their own habitat.

Have you tried growing a Black Persimmon tree, it's native to Mexico and Southeast Texas. It thrives in tropical regions and doesn't do well in colder regions, it can survive seasons of drought once it matured, and does bess in full shade and deep soil for the taproot to grow. It that doesn't work you might be able to grow an American Persimmon tree, it's a bit more versatile and grows from southern Connecticut to Florida and Texas and Kansas. I don't know your specific conditions but I hope you can find a persimmon tree that is compatible with your area, nothing is better than dried persimmon with powdered sugar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10-B
Country
United States
I would love to grow a lilac bush. It's far too dry and hot out here, unfortunately. I've seen lilacs in a few very rare California flower shops in the spring, but they always have to be imported. I love their fragrant flowers, though. Does anyone know of any fragrant flowering plants or trees that grow well in dry, hot conditions?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love to grow a lilac bush. It's far too dry and hot out here, unfortunately. I've seen lilacs in a few very rare California flower shops in the spring, but they always have to be imported. I love their fragrant flowers, though. Does anyone know of any fragrant flowering plants or trees that grow well in dry, hot conditions?

I love lilacs took, there is a California Lilac, Ceanothus, that grows really well in California, is an ever green, and very drought tolerant. They do attract deer so, that's can be problematic.
http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/ceanothus/california_ceanothus.html
Here show some strands that grow very well in California and range from dark blue to light violet flowers.

Reaction score
I would love to have strawberries in my own backyard but I'm afraid that it is just too hot in our area for them to grow. A farmer here, a graduate of agriculture, was able to grow strawberries successfully in tropical climate and he is selling ready-to-fruit strawberry plants for $6 but we'll have to travel to his place for about 9 hours one-way and it is just too impractical. I'd like to make my own experiment though and see how it goes.

Ask a Question