Plant or tree you wish to have but doesn't grow in your place?

Reaction score
A wisteria tree. I've been dreaming of having one of those trees for a really long time, but I don't have enough space to grow one. I might once I move to my own place in Holland tho :)

Their vines are really beautiful but they can be grown as a shrub/tree type. It's all in the pruning. I bet it can even be grown in a large pot.

Reaction score
Their vines are really beautiful but they can be grown as a shrub/tree type. It's all in the pruning. I bet it can even be grown in a large pot.

Hi Tommy! I recently was told the very same thing, but it sounds like you need to be really good at it, right? This whole thing made me think of Bonsais, hehehe :p I know they are different, but it does sound like I really need to get more info on how to get it right the first time. It would be lovely to manage to grow a few of those tress as vines!!! Oh my...!

Reaction score
Hi Tommy! I recently was told the very same thing, but it sounds like you need to be really good at it, right? This whole thing made me think of Bonsais, hehehe :p I know they are different, but it does sound like I really need to get more info on how to get it right the first time. It would be lovely to manage to grow a few of those tress as vines!!! Oh my...!

Yep but be prepared for the vines to take over, yours and maybe the neighbors yard haha. Growing the wisteria as a tree in the ground definitely doesn't take an expert. If you meant growing one in a pot....well I haven't tried it yet and considering it will lose its leaves in the winter (andjust be a lot of sticks in a pot haha), I'm really not sure I want to see that. It could always be put in the back of the yard then I guess. Speaking of bonsai, I think I have seen one grown like that. Right now I have 3 tiny clippings of a white crepe myrtle that I got to root. I plan on keeping at least one in a big pot.

Reaction score
Yeah,I agree. Haha..I have a miniature rose plant in my apartment too,they are just so AWESOME!Oh..glad to know. :D

I have miniature roses too. Mine are outside though. They are quite a challenge here in south Louisiana this time of year dealing with blackspot disease. Spraying them every few days is needed and even then it's almost impossible to control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have miniature roses too. Mine are outside though. They are quite a challenge here in south Louisiana this time of year dealing with blackspot disease. Spraying them every few days is needed and even then it's almost impossible to control.
Oh well, good luck then. My plants suffer from mild dew :sick: And I spray mouthwash solution once in a while too. ;) They seem okay.

Reaction score
Oh well, good luck then. My plants suffer from mild dew :sick: And I spray mouthwash solution once in a while too. ;) They seem okay.

No problem with mildew here for me. Mouthwash huh...I'll try and remember that. Do you try not to use chemicals? I try not to on my vegetables ( cause they're edible.... also I don't want to bother the little frogs I seem to have a lot of this year for some reason). Impossible not to have to use chemicals for blackspot on my roses....not that they seem to do much good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
No problem with mildew here for me. Mouthwash huh...I'll try and remember that. Do you try not to use chemicals? I try not to on my vegetables ( cause they're edible.... also I don't want to bother the little frogs I seem to have a lot of this year for some reason). Impossible not to have to use chemicals for blackspot on my roses....not that they seem to do much good.
Yeah, mouthwash :) . I mix a tsp of mouthwash with 3tsps of water and just spray the solution on the leaves affected with mildew. That's it. I actually don't grow any edible plants. But I still try not to use any sort of chemicals. I just use organic fertilizer once in a while. Agree mate. Chemicals do not seem to do any good.

Reaction score
Yeah, mouthwash :) . I mix a tsp of mouthwash with 3tsps of water and just spray the solution on the leaves affected with mildew. That's it. I actually don't grow any edible plants. But I still try not to use any sort of chemicals. I just use organic fertilizer once in a while. Agree mate. Chemicals do not seem to do any good.

Mate?? Now are you from Australia?? Instead of "New member" by our name, I wish it would show location.

Reaction score
I really want to grow strawberry plants. I tried once, but it died. The plant couldn't take the heat of our place. Strawberries do grow in the Philippines, but I think they only grow in the colder regions. Do you think it will make a difference if I keep it as an indoor plant and water it constantly. My mother once told me to keep it in the fridge, but I think she was kidding. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I really want to grow strawberry plants. I tried once, but it died. The plant couldn't take the heat of our place. Strawberries do grow in the Philippines, but I think they only grow in the colder regions. Do you think it will make a difference if I keep it as an indoor plant and water it constantly. My mother once told me to keep it in the fridge, but I think she was kidding. :rolleyes:

I wanna try strawberries but not sure what's the best time of year, cause we get pretty hot too. I'm in the States, south Louisiana. Are there any garden websites for the Philippines you can check? Maybe you could grow them in a cooler time of year. Not sure they would get enough light to grow (and make the berries) inside. Good luck.

Reaction score
Yep but be prepared for the vines to take over, yours and maybe the neighbors yard haha. Growing the wisteria as a tree in the ground definitely doesn't take an expert. If you meant growing one in a pot....well I haven't tried it yet and considering it will lose its leaves in the winter (andjust be a lot of sticks in a pot haha), I'm really not sure I want to see that. It could always be put in the back of the yard then I guess. Speaking of bonsai, I think I have seen one grown like that. Right now I have 3 tiny clippings of a white crepe myrtle that I got to root. I plan on keeping at least one in a big pot.

Hehehe, that's good to know! Might need to find house surrounded by only good neighbors who don't mind the vines :p I don't mind them taking over my yard at all, hehehe! I would like to see that actually, lol. I've heard about bonsai wisteria trees, but I guess those do take an expert to grow them into bonsais! Would love to get one of those, but it can be cheap! Good luck with your clippings!

Reaction score
I wanna try strawberries but not sure what's the best time of year, cause we get pretty hot too. I'm in the States, south Louisiana. Are there any garden websites for the Philippines you can check? Maybe you could grow them in a cooler time of year. Not sure they would get enough light to grow (and make the berries) inside. Good luck.

I am not sure. I never checked. I saw a plant database once when I was identifying plants for my Botany class, but that was just pictures and lists of plants found in University of the Philippines compiled by students.

I really doubt growing them in a different time will do any difference since our climate is too hot. From where I am from, we have four "seasons": hot, very hot, wet, and very wet. Strawberries only grow in places very high up in the mountains here.

Reaction score
citrus, but I'm too far north. I love the idea of being able to just walk out into my yard and pick an orange.

Ask a Question