parsley bolt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This flat leaf Italian parsley,came back from last yr.
last yr. it was like a small bush,as you see it has 2 main stems that have shot up and producing seed heads ;) do i need to cut these stems down some ? ?
CAM00062.jpg
CAM00061.jpg

Attachments

• CAM00061.jpg
    CAM00061.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 1,811
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When parsley bolts--forms seed heads--it is finished as a culinary herb. The taste is entirely different, and not all that pleasant. You can let the parsley go ahead with the seed formation and let the seed ripen, then collect it for planting next year.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a biennial so time to plant some new ones :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have given up on growing parsley, dill and cilantro because of the bolting issue. I can't tell the difference between these herbs fresh or from the grocery store anyway.

The trick to preventing or retarding bolting is to aggressively pinch or cut back new growth but no matter what, you miss a wet or sunny day and BOOM the plant is toast. Staggering plantings will definitely help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks marlin an zig,I'm a newbie to herbs,started two small ones last year(gardens) it's a good think i've sown new seeds:) when i seen that it can back i thought i was lucky,guess not . All my other herb. are doing well from seeds this year except my basil ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Let it go to seed. As Zigs pointed out, parsley is a biennial herb. It flowers in the second year and sets seed. Time for a new plant. Some of the parsley I put in at garden #3 is already starting to bolt and I am not happy about it. The plants haven't even been there a year!

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
well, this is good know since my parsley is doing the same thing. I didn't realize it would change the taste of the herb.

Cilantro is one that I really want to grow, but it always seems to bolt way to fast. I am stubborn and I keep trying, but never get great results.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
JHB, cilantro is a cool season herb. I see you are in 10a, so you may want to plant it in late October and let it grow during the cooler months. Here in central Texas cilantro is just finishing up--as soon as the daytime temperatures hit the mid-80's and nighttime in the 70's, cilantro is done.
Some of our parsley is getting ready to bolt. It changes color a bit--gets darker green--and that's a sign that it wants to set seed. I harvest as much as I can, chop it fine, add just enough water to make a paste, then freeze it in tablespoon size blobs on waxed paper. When frozen, I transfer to a freezer container and the parsley can be used in cooking for the rest of the year.

Ask a Question