Parsley

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I could lie and say i'd planted this, but it's all self sown from last years plants :D

DSCI0489.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Isn't Parsley a beautiful, useful herb? I envy you your "self-sown" parsley. I start ours inside and transplant out in a few containers, and also some directly into the garden.
Ours is about to bolt, but I have lots frozen in a slurry in ice cube trays, and will hopefully have a fall/winter crop of parsley.
Is there anything better than freshly dug new potatoes and parsley butter? If so, I don't think I could stand the joy!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
None of mine that I sowed in the greenhouse came up :D

I'll try that with the new potatoes, not something that occurred to me before :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could lie and say i'd planted this, but it's all self sown from last years plants :D

View attachment 12787

Where did you get your seeds? Do you know what the name of the parsley you have? I had parsley but they didn't self sow. Is there a way to encourage the parsley to self sow and did you put anything over the soil afterwards or did you just leave it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Looks like you have it growing in plentiful supply! Right now I just have rosemary, sage, cilantro and basil growing. I don't know why I haven't branched out to parsley myself - we cook quite a bit of Italian food and I always like some parsley in those dishes!

Also, our local supermarket here doesn't really stock parsley that often to purchase - it's just not really the done thing with Japanese cooking! So it'd be easier to grow my own from that perspective too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bluelotus, parsley is a biennial, meaning that it survives to a second year and sets seeds. You can tell when the parsley is about to "bolt" or set seeds by looking at the foliage. If the leaves start to look like fern fronds, you will get seed heads, and if you let them develop, the parsley will self-seed. Ours never has because it is in the vegetable garden and gets tilled under each fall.
We plant the Italian large leaf parsley for the fantastic flavor, but there are several varieties of parsley out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Parsley and chive are the first thing that come up in my herb garden, I use a lot of both in cooking.

Ask a Question