Pansies from seed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been successful in starting many different flowers from seed, but I've never successfully germinated pansies. The most common consensus is that they should be started in a moist seed starting mix in total darkness about 60 - 65 degrees. I have sown hundreds of seeds this way in numerous trials with no success. I also tried cold stratifying them before planting with no success. I saw one video on YouTube of a commercial nursery that claims to germinate them in 48 hours in a hot box at 100% humidity.

Can anyone provide insight for me?

Thank you!

Paul

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Paul. :)

I've grown hundreds of Pansies in the past from seed. I sowed them in trays of plain (garden centre supplied) multi-purpose compost and placed them in a heated propagator with a clear top until they germinated. Temperature around 60 to 65 degrees as you've said above. No darkness or stratifying necessary. Once big enough to handle I planted them individually into sectional trays below and moved them to a cool but not cold room until developed enough to move to a cold greenhouse. From there I hardened them off outside ready for planting. They are a little slower than other seeds to germinate and grow on.

I noticed you posted this thread in 'Perennials'. Here in Britain we tend to grow them as annuals as they don't over winter very well.

1570227050561.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Sheal. How long is the germination period for you?

Paul

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, now there's a question! :) It's seven or eight years since I last grew them but I think they germinated in less than a week.

Ask a Question