Too hot for my pansies?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I'm brand new to this forum and I need a little bit of help. I planted a large seed tray full of pansies in mid-January, hoping that the flowers would bloom for a good amount of time throughout the spring and summer without any problems. I managed to grow six pansy seedlings and I transplanted them a few days ago, but I'm not seeing much progress or even a sign that they'll bloom. One in the center of my pot is also very leggy and completely flops over. I've read that pansies do better in cooler weather, but unfortunately where I live (central Florida, just on the halfway point between zones 9 and 10) has experienced quite a lot of heat lately, up to the mid-eighties during the afternoon. I'm afraid this is too hot for my pansies, but I have no place where they'll get proper sun inside (my window sills are very narrow). I've worked very hard on growing these, and they're my first attempt at growing anything since I was a kid, so I want to make sure that they do well. Any help would be appreciated, thank you! :)

63.jpg 64.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Samantha, we are in central Texas, zone 8b, and pansies are winter flowers here. I'd think they would be the same in central Florida. Pansies do like cooler weather.
I don't mean to be discouraging, but your first attempt at growing anything since you were a kid was a poor choice of plants.
May I suggest that you get a packet of zinnia seeds, sow those directly in the ground or in a larger container outdoors, keep the soil moist but not wet, and enjoy your flowers? All gardeners learn from their mistakes (if I told you all of mine, you'd be in tears after the first paragraph!).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Samantha, we are in central Texas, zone 8b, and pansies are winter flowers here. I'd think they would be the same in central Florida. Pansies do like cooler weather.
I don't mean to be discouraging, but your first attempt at growing anything since you were a kid was a poor choice of plants.
May I suggest that you get a packet of zinnia seeds, sow those directly in the ground or in a larger container outdoors, keep the soil moist but not wet, and enjoy your flowers? All gardeners learn from their mistakes (if I told you all of mine, you'd be in tears after the first paragraph!).
Thanks for the tip! I don't want to give up on them just yet, but I did just sow some wildflower seeds as well. I didn't think it would get quite as hot as it is right now in March, especially because we had a few cold fronts the last couple of months. I was hoping that they'd bloom before the summer weather, but I couldn't find any information online about how long it takes pansies to bloom either. I'll try to keep them around and see what's what, and if it doesn't work out I'll just plant something else. Thank you again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Samantha, I'll try to keep them around and see what's what, and if it doesn't work out I'll just plant something else.
Spoken like a true gardener! I admire your attitude.
Our weather has been "iffy" also, and I have some transplants in the ground that I'm keeping an eye on. We'll all make it through and have good gardens, no matter what!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Samantha,
You could try putting them in a shady spot and see if that helps. I'm way up north and when I grew them they did well in shade.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sam: If you have hot weather, alstroemerias are a good choice although they could be very invasive .. Zinnia or gazania loves the heat .. You could probably try echinaceas, heleniums ..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sam: If you have hot weather, alstroemerias are a good choice although they could be very invasive .. Zinnia or gazania loves the heat .. You could probably try echinaceas, heleniums ..
Wow, those are some beautiful suggestions! I don't think I'd have to worry about invasive flowers if I plant them in containers, would I? I also think there are some echinaceas in the wildflower mix that I just sowed. I think I'll probably still plant some zinnias, but the alstroemerias and gazanias are really tempting.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
gazanias are so photogenic, just like you! Don't worry or get excited. I'm old as your granma! LOL!

Or are you sure that's you? LOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Pansies do hate heat:( Sorry you found out the hard way but glade you found Garden Forums as you have you have some good advice to feed off Welcome to the forums Samantha(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
Hi @Samantha Ellis
A very good, perennial, flowering plant that is easy to grow from seed is vinca. I would really suggest you try them. They are drought tolerant too if you are a little in inconsistent in watering. Very forgiving plant that comes in beautiful shades from cranberry red to dark purple to white.
Best of luck with zinnias and pansys.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sadly, I too made this mistake. I have 6 started and then found out its probably too hot here for them to do well. You said you started a whole tray and only 6 came up? All of mine germinated (nothing I did, Im new to this...beginners luck?). I may try and pot one or two to keep inside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pansies do hate heat:( Sorry you found out the hard way but glade you found Garden Forums as you have you have some good advice to feed off Welcome to the forums Samantha(y)
Thank you! I think I probably read about pansies in the wrong region. For colder climates they probably would do well in spring. I just put them in the shade today, so we'll see how they do. Thanks for the welcome!

Ask a Question