Pansies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I noticed that my grocery store has pansy starters on sale for a dollar each and I have never grown them before. They are a pretty common flower to grow up here where I live, but are they hard to take care of? They are a cheap investment, but I do not want them to die after I plant them. What is your experience with growing these flowers?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hate to say this, but I've always had problems with pansies, I don't know why, because nobody else seems to struggle with them. But for me, they just get leggy instead of staying bushy.

Except for Johnny Jump-ups. I've had good luck with them, maybe because nature takes care of them, all the ones I have are volunteers that keep coming back every year. If you've never seen them, they're real tiny, maybe 1" across or less.

johnny.jpg

JohnnyJumpUp.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice pictures, these look exactly like the ones that I saw at the store, except there were more colors to choose from. They seem to be kind of like the junk flower in that so many people have them in their yards. I was just wondering if they were easy to take care of because they are so inexpensive to buy. I really hate having the same flower as everyone else though.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never grown pansies. I like the colors, I do see them all over my area. Good luck. Take pictures and share if you do decide to plant them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grew them in a container last year, and they sat in the sun for a good 5-6 hours. I don't have any problem with them and I even forgot to water them some time, but after they got a drink; they perked right back up! I love their constant flowering, but can't tolerate the smell.
Pretty Pansy.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really did not know that pansies had a smell, never noticed it before. Seems like they are a hearty plant if they can wilt and almost be dead and then spring back to life when you water them. That is my kind of plant! I am not always the best at remembering to water my plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Evidentially, the etymology of the word 'pansy' comes from the French verb penser , to think. Hence, Ophelia's line about pansies for thoughts. Still, I've always been fond of the folk-etymology of 'Pan's Eye', especially as the 'faces on a Pansy can often resemble that of a bearded satyr or faun. I was remembering pansies with faces in Fantasia, but the Internet tells me it was actually Disney's Alice in Wonderland.

In truth, I grow the smaller but more floriferous and upright Bedding Violas (Viola x williamsii) far more often than actual Pansies
(Viola x wittrockii). Here is one of my favourites: Viola x williamsii 'Sorbet Lemon Blueberry Swirl'
Viola_Sorbet_Lemon_Blueberry_Swirl_Bloom_17025Optimized.jpg

Ask a Question