Overgrown rose bush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This rose bush is growing so high and lopsided. I would like to cut it way down and shape it up. How much can I cut it down and when would be a good time/season to do it?
Last fall I trimmed it up what I thought was a good amount but it's right back to where it was already.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 2,254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 490
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Kelly, that rose looks like it is doing what it is supposed to do--grow up and out and be healthy!
If you would tell us where you are (country, state, zone?) we could give better advice about your rose.
Just off the top of my head, I think the "lopsided" is due to the overhanging tree, and resulting shade. You could thin out branches of the tree to give the rose more sun and the thinner part would branch out more. Here in Texas, our roses appreciate a bit of shade!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Kelly, that rose looks like it is doing what it is supposed to do--grow up and out and be healthy!
If you would tell us where you are (country, state, zone?) we could give better advice about your rose.
Just off the top of my head, I think the "lopsided" is due to the overhanging tree, and resulting shade. You could thin out branches of the tree to give the rose more sun and the thinner part would branch out more. Here in Texas, our roses appreciate a bit of shade!
The location is Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. That makes sense about the tree causing shade. I didn't think of that. I think I will like the bush better if I can trim it down and then try to keep on top of trimming it up. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When trimming your rose, make sure you cut a cane just above a stem with leaves that points out from the bush's center. That lets the middle of the bush have air circulation.
My explanation isn't very clear, and you probably know how to prune, but here is a link with good information and photos on pruning roses: https://www.heirloomroses.com/care/pruning/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When trimming your rose, make sure you cut a cane just above a stem with leaves that points out from the bush's center. That lets the middle of the bush have air circulation.
My explanation isn't very clear, and you probably know how to prune, but here is a link with good information and photos on pruning roses: https://www.heirloomroses.com/care/pruning/
Thanks for the tip. I don't know too much about pruning so I'm glad for any tips. I read the link you posted. Very helpful...thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have overgrown rose bushes. I love rose plant and I have over dozen varieties of rose. However, I am bad at pruning and trimming rose bush. I will remember the tips shared on this thread.

Ask a Question