Grubbing out an overgrown hedge

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been tackling a bramble infested pile of rubble, taking days to dig all the roots out.

Found a few interesting things though :)
DSCN0550.JPG

This is made from cast iron. It's so heavy I can't lift it. Wonder if it came from the old railway station?

DSCN0551.JPG

Thought this was concrete when I first saw it, but after cleaning it up realised its carved stone :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How deep is that stone thing in the ground and what is it. Maybe you ought to get in touch with that guy with the metal detector who keeps finding all that buried treasure

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting, who knows what kind of treasures you may find there. Do you know any of the history for the area that could give you an idea of what was going on there in the past like part of some famous fight or church.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How deep is that stone thing in the ground and what is it. Maybe you ought to get in touch with that guy with the metal detector who keeps finding all that buried treasure

It's 8 inches deep and just under 2 feet long Chuck, not sure what it was for, no bottom to it so it can't have been a trough.

Too much dumped iron in the hedge for a detector, fighting old bits of barbed wire too.
Very interesting, who knows what kind of treasures you may find there. Do you know any of the history for the area that could give you an idea of what was going on there in the past like part of some famous fight or church.

Wasn't anything but farmland here till the railway came Pat, i'm on the flood plain of the river so not a good place for a settlement, find the occasional mesolithic flint tool, must have been a good place to hunt 10,000 years ago.

If you click on my location you'll see the River Brit on the map, that's where I am :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Well, the grubbing out is hard work, but at least you are finding interesting "artifacts". What do you plan to put in that space? Interesting if you could incorporate the carved stone thing--definitely a conversation piece!
All we've found on the farm is wads of barbed wire, odd horse shoes (must have been a five-legged horse here at some time) and lots and lots of pop tops from soda cans. A metal detector would wear itself out around here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's 8 inches deep and just under 2 feet long Chuck, not sure what it was for, no bottom to it so it can't have been a trough.

Too much dumped iron in the hedge for a detector, fighting old bits of barbed wire too.

Wasn't anything but farmland here till the railway came Pat, i'm on the flood plain of the river so not a good place for a settlement, find the occasional mesolithic flint tool, must have been a good place to hunt 10,000 years ago.

If you click on my location you'll see the River Brit on the map, that's where I am :)
In the pic it looks like holes were drilled in it. Do they go all the way through? Somebody went to a lot of work to cut that out of a rock so it has to be something that was important to them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This carved stone looks so weird! If I found something like this, I'd put some dry branches in it, set them on fire, and use this thing as a grill:D
I sometimes find pieces of old china in my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This carved stone looks so weird! If I found something like this, I'd put some dry branches in it, set them on fire, and use this thing as a grill:D
You might have something there. It very well could be a Roman or Viking Hibachi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You might have something there. It very well could be a Roman or Viking Hibachi
Yes, I think so. It definitely looks like something that can be used to prepare foods.
Or maybe it's some kind of an ancient safe where people had been hiding their valuable things. They got robbed and this is why it's empty:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the grubbing out is hard work, but at least you are finding interesting "artifacts". What do you plan to put in that space? Interesting if you could incorporate the carved stone thing--definitely a conversation piece!
All we've found on the farm is wads of barbed wire, odd horse shoes (must have been a five-legged horse here at some time) and lots and lots of pop tops from soda cans. A metal detector would wear itself out around here!

Just gonna keep the area clean till I can make sure i've got the worst of the weeds out, it's full of Bindweed & Nettle roots.

Sis has got her eye on the Trough as a planter, best I beat her to it :D

In the pic it looks like holes were drilled in it. Do they go all the way through? Somebody went to a lot of work to cut that out of a rock so it has to be something that was important to them

That's just a hollow, might have been a pebble in the rock that came out, doesn't go right thru.
I agree, done a lot of stone carving, that would take me half a day to carve with modern tools.

I use the Barbeque for that :D

Ask a Question