Overgrown rose

Reaction score
We moved into our house last year and it was a wild jungle outside. I uncovered two rose bushes, but they are completely overgrown. One grows stalks as tall as our house! How can I safely trim them down without killing them? They both bloomed beautifully this year, and I want them to bloom again next year without looking overgrown and wild :)

Reaction score
I love roses and just know from experience how to prune. Your rose bush needs a deep pruning. Cut out all dead branches. Cut out all branches which cross another branch. Open up the bush so that there is adequate circulation going through the middle of the plant. Think of the bush as a vase. The inside is open. Branches which grow towards the middle should be removed. You need to determine what kind of rose it is — Tea, floribunda or climbing. If a Tea or Floribunda, cut it down to about 2-3 feet, leaving 3-4 main branches. If it’s a climber, leave 3-4 long branches. It may take until next year for your rose to recover but it will. Give it LOTS of water and fertilize it after you prune it, then again in two months. Hope this helps.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great information. A good cutting is always the answer on a rose bush that is out of control. I have cut them down to about 6 inches from the root on a plant that was out of control. It grew back with more blooms and was stronger. The key is to water deeply as stated above. If it is a climber you can cut it several times during the growing season to keep it under control. Be careful of the thorns while cutting back the plant or picking up the cuttings. Another thing you may want to do is divide the root ball and start a new plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Jessamom, could you post a photo of the roses? If you have one that is as high as your house, it may be a "climber" which is a misnomer since roses don't climb (no tendrils or clinging-things).
Another thing you may want to do is divide the root ball and start a new plant .Roses are not started by root division. Roses are started by cuttings, but you need to get these two under control before thinking about propagating.
Since you are in Canada in zone 3, wait until spring when the roses start to put out little red bumps on their canes--a sign of new growth. Then follow Knowthman's advice about pruning. Depending on rain, you may or may not need to water frequently. Here in Central Texas (hot, dry, and heavy soil) I give our roses a gallon a week. You may need to do less.
Please post photos if you can. That would be such a help!

Ask a Question