Overgrown holly bush.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old holly bush that has spread sideways into multiple trunks. It has been cut back. It is probably too large to let regrow where it is. Is it possible to cut away portions of the base and roots leaving something a quarter of the size, or is it all one underneath. I hope that makes sense!
20230108_122555.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it makes sense, and I reckon it is all one underneath. when we lived in a coach with a wood stove I used to look out for old holly bushes. They often grow like that and then get 'standing logs', an upright that dies back and dries out without falling. Shake it rhythmically and it will snap off, a good bit of dry, hard wood. For this reason, and looking at the cuts already made, I reckon you could take out a fair number of those uprights and you will see new growth coming, then you could reduce a few more.
I don't think you would get away with splitting and replanting like an agapanthus or a rhubarb, too woody, too deep rooted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hollies are tolerant of being cut back severely. In fact, a mature holly can generally be cut to the ground and will regrow vigorously from its roots. You can cut it all the way back to the ground in Winter and in spring it will regrow. After the first year of new growth, you can choose the new branches to save and cut the rest away.

Ask a Question