Over-watering my succulents?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My dickias (dyckias), my silver jelly bean stonecrop, my gasteria armstrongii, and my mother-of-millions are in trouble. We just got them from a fellow gardener, but this is our first time dealing with succulents. As you can see from the pics, the leaves are shriveling and the tips are browning. Their former owners had them in the sun during the morning and the shade in the afternoon, as we are in Southern Arizona (zone 9) and the sun is strong this time of year.

Here’s the problem: I’ve been watering them every day, but I thought that succulents were supposed to be extremely hardy. So, if they look like they’re drying up, should I water them more? Am I watering them too much? Is it a nutrient issue? We’ve only had them for about a week, the jelly beans are completely gone, and the colors started changing only 3 days after they came to us. They were repotted, also.

Help help help!
20160813_154106.jpg
20160819_174402.jpg
20160813_153928.jpg
20160820_125041.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My dickias (dyckias), my silver jelly bean stonecrop, my gasteria armstrongii, and my mother-of-millions are in trouble. We just got them from a fellow gardener, but this is our first time dealing with succulents. As you can see from the pics, the leaves are shriveling and the tips are browning. Their former owners had them in the sun during the morning and the shade in the afternoon, as we are in Southern Arizona (zone 9) and the sun is strong this time of year.

Here’s the problem: I’ve been watering them every day, but I thought that succulents were supposed to be extremely hardy. So, if they look like they’re drying up, should I water them more? Am I watering them too much? Is it a nutrient issue? We’ve only had them for about a week, the jelly beans are completely gone, and the colors started changing only 3 days after they came to us. They were repotted, also.

Help help help!View attachment 14777 View attachment 14778 View attachment 14779 View attachment 14780
Succulents do not need watering every day. They like to dry out. Every week or 10 days is sufficient. Take them out of the pot and look at the roots. If they are rotted snip the rotted parts away and repot with fresh soil and STOP with the over watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't water, basically. Or do it infrequently. You live in AZ, a region where cactus thrives and it certainly doesn't rain every day there! Follow Mother Nature's example; I dont know why on earth you are watering daily? o_O You are drowning those poor things to death. Just stop with the watering.

I've told this story before...I had friends in AZ (Phoenix suburbs) for years and visited 1-2 times annually. We did lots of desert hiking. After a fall visit, I tossed my hiking boots into the back of a dark, dry closet. Next spring I dug them out and was amused to find a baby saguaro growing from one of the eyelets. I must have picked up a little bud that stuck. It was pale from no sun but was doing fine after 4-5 months of zero water. I planted it in cactus mix and a pot and it took off.

Been years since I've grown succulents but I pretty much never watered them unless they started to shrivel up. Like weeks, sometimes months. A good watering bought them right back and happy.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The issue could be overwatering but its good to cast your net wider. Succulents are adapted to dry conditions but they can survive waterlogged conditions since their biomass is mostly water and thats why they thrive during long rainy seasons. Check the soil pH balance or lime it. You should also check for any viral infections.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That looks like one of my succulents right now. I had to move it out of the shade and into the sun so it could dry up. I got a little too eager and was watering it once a week. I talked to my nursery friend and she said that I only have to water it once every two months. I felt like such a dope!

Reaction score
Country
United States
How did you repot it? You should have a pot with a hole in the bottom with good drainage. Then have at the bottom big stones or rocks, then gravel, and then your planting soil. Then water thoroughly once a week instead of every day. Succulents are designed to survive the desert not a rainforest. If you ever feel like you overwatered you can just leave them in the sun longer.

Ask a Question