Our Wild Lettuce (Lactuca virosa) seeds have germinated ......

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Is mine one too? :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found in US National Library of Med..............
Abstract
Wild lettuce (Lactuca virosa) can cause toxic effects when eaten. Wild lettuce grows in the north of Iran and some natives consume it unaware of its adverse side effects. We describe eight patients with manifestations of wild lettuce toxicity, admitted to a general hospital affiliated to the Golestan University of Medical Sciences. All the patients recovered (although one had to spend 48 h in the intensive care unit) and no chronic complications were reported. A clinical suspicion of toxicity caused by wild lettuce intake and an accurate history formed the basis of the diagnosis. Conservative treatment, vital sign monitoring, control of patient intake and output, and reducing patient agitation provided the basis for treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This stuff is edible when young but not at all tasty. It's not like chard or spiniach. I have 2 kinds of the stuff and have been trying to rid my property of it for years. Go ahead and let it go to seed but just remember that I told you so

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Us civilized guys like more girly varieties like Red Sails, Ruby, Black Seeded Simpson. I let one go to seed each year so I get leaf lettuce weeds hither & yon, but earlier than I can seed myself, so I have at least a few a month ahead of the sets I buy. They're not true to mother, but they are early...

Ask a Question