alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
More to come at the weekend :eek:

Yes. Seems to be quite wet over the weekend as well. Glad that everyone is safe.. Thank heavens uprooted tree fell the other way! We don't have much wind here. Thank heavens.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
LOL! I thought so. 50mph is nothing. :D But that's what the rag reports, so I just copied and pasted.

Must be the storm surge. SW always bears the blunt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Knots are only used by seafaring people. On land we use miles per hour.
Thank you for the explanation about the measurements in the UK @Sheal. Looking at the Beaufort Scale some how gave me the impression that the winds were measured in knots...but it appears there can be 3 different measurements for the same wind, egad no wonder @zigs mentioned "confusion", not only with measurements but with money as well. I am sure i would not be smart enough to live there. People must need to carry conversion tables every where they go.

For as long as i can remember the US has talked about changing to the metric system but they've never gotten around to it. They talked about how expensive it would be to retool all the manufacturing sector. I can envision what a mess that could be. I guess more than anything i wonder why 12 as a base number was used in the first place. The scientific community for the most part uses metric. Calculations are much easier with a nicely rounded 10. And then you have the sleep deprived bakers who for some perverse reason chose 13 for their bakers' dozen. Metric would have been my vote at the beginning but now it does make more sense to stick to what they started with.

Your photo contribution to the November contest is so beautiful and rich with color and i love the owl. It looks like you have a stream, creek, or babbling brook where the land dips down?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I guess more than anything i wonder why 12 as a base number was used in the first place.

A silversmith was asked to divide up a pound of silver into as many pennies as he could, he managed to get 240 out of it, that became the basis of our coinage system :rolleyes:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When buying goods some things are measured in metres some in centimetres and many in millimetres, so we have to go armed with measurements in all of these including imperial measurement to make sure we don't get caught out.

So, if someone wants new curtains, they need to take 4 sets of measurements to the store with them? :confused: Oh, that would never work over here. :rolleyes: Most of them won't bring one set of measurements!! They just keep their receipt and return it - then no one else wants to buy it, because the package is opened!! :mad: Sadly, common sense is becoming fairly rare.

For as long as i can remember the US has talked about changing to the metric system but they've never gotten around to it. They talked about how expensive it would be to retool all the manufacturing sector. I can envision what a mess that could be.

Anyone who works on cars has to have two sets of tools. Which in turn leads to being more convenient to have two toolboxes, which leads to the garage being quite cluttered. (n)

And then you have the sleep deprived bakers who for some perverse reason chose 13 for their bakers' dozen.

Baked goods used to be sold not by the each, but by weight. (The price to be determined by the price of wheat. They had to stay current on prices, even after buying their wheat.) If a baker was caught selling short weight, they would be punished. Which might mean a fine, or it could mean being flogged or pilloried. So, in order to stay on the right side of the law - the Baker's Dozen. (And one for good measure. ;).)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
There is a flood warning too!

It's say south west regions,
sd33%2B%25281%2529.png

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the south west :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
As i write it appears you should be having the winds and rains of what the UK press call Storm Brian. I hope you have prepared well @zigs Are you in an area prone to flooding? or on higher ground? As i write i guess it is about 6pm where you are. Hoping you and your van are safe.
girl impossible.gif

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The van is on the river flood plain :eek:

River is the other side of the field though:)

DSCI0002 (12).JPG

Only 4pm here but the wind is picking up. Will park the car right up against it :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Dealing with the aftermath of Ophelia before Brian hits
X4sJt8X.jpg

Some fire wood for us
8ON860S.jpg

It left a big hole.
sNg3y6A.jpg

More tree trunks to cut.
q98uLKD.jpg

No where to put any more stuff for shredding.
MihwAQ9.jpg

More bits to come down, but these need a ladder.
x4BZNY4.jpg

Waiting to be shredded and the brazier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tjw1203

Latest Threads