Orphelia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Wow @zigs you can't say that REM song is light on lyrics...lordy how does he do that? Loved the video.
laughing girl2.gif

@Sheal so happy to hear the storm passed you by. There would have been no justice for the storm to hit you right after you moved in to a new house. Hope the Isle of Mann will not cause problems for your daughter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We just saw photos of the storm hitting the coast of Ireland--boats rocking at their moorings, roofs off buildings, and trees bending in the wind.
Sheal, thank heavens you are safe and sound, and I hope for the same for your daughter. Please let us know how she fared.
Zigs, are you safe? A rocking caravan doesn't sound all that wonderful.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm glad everyone is safe. :) I won't worry about you tonight.

If you click on our location @MaryMary it'll show you where we are :)

How cool is that?! (y) Thank you for pointing that out to me! I click things that look like links sometimes, but sometimes I don't... hadn't clicked that one yet. :confused: :LOL:

From @Ian's link:
Archer Hampson‏ said: "Somebody said we should head outside because the world was ending. We thought we'd take our cameras."

The bolding is mine - That is hilarious!! :ROFLMAO: :LOL: Brown sky, pink sun... I'd have done the same thing, myself!! (y)

Zigs, are you safe? A rocking caravan doesn't sound all that wonderful.

Now, now... don't be hasty...

upload_2017-10-17_0-44-24.jpeg

;) . :sneaky: . :whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Just been out to look at the garden. There is a tree uprooted in the hedgerow. Fortunately it fell away from the Summer House. Chain saw out tomorrow. More fire wood. Otherwise just a lot of the Catshead apples which I could not reach brought down. Sadly they bruise so easily that they are no use when they fall like that. In any case we have already picked far more than we can deal with. Gave away 50 kilos the other day.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
More to come at the weekend :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all. :)

The Irish Republic had a harsh time yesterday and with the Isle of Man being in the same area, approx. 60 miles (not nautical miles) away by sea it also took a battering. Winds of 90mph were recorded in the south of the island and over a hundred trees lost. In the grand scheme of things that doesn't seem a lot but the island is only approximately 36 miles long by 13 wide. My daughter and family are well and suffered no damage to property. :) I fortunately live on the east side of Scotland and at the time of the storm the wind here was surprisingly almost non existent.

As you see from our Beaufort Scale below wind speed is categorised differently to other countries.

https://www.rmets.org/weather-and-climate/observing/beaufort-scale

With the exception of your bucket is all well with you @zigs? Is the van still where you planted it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
More to come at the weekend :eek:
Egad @zigs do you mean to say she is coming back??? Do you expect to get hit?

@Sheal wonderful news about your daughter and family. Also thanks for the information re the Beaufort scale. It makes sense that the winds would be measured in knots being as you are seafaring islands. It always surprises me when i hear brits on the forums and on news clips speaking of "miles". What's up with that? Don't you generally measures distances in kms?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Weather dude said same windspeeds if not more
1yikestkt.gif

Rest of Europe uses kilometres, us brits find them far too complicated :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Rest of Europe uses kilometres, us brits find them far too complicated :D
Everything here is in kilometers. I grew up with miles, and have a sense of what a mile is, but i don't have a sense of what a km feels like. So when i see a road sign that says 90km to Mazamitla for example (in my head) i divide 90/3 x 2 = 60 miles (approx. but close enough) and that doesn't seem so far.
girl with glasses.gif
Hope Mother Nature takes it easy on you folks.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I drove 250 km in East Germany and didn't see a single road killed Badger :cautious:

I did bring this up at the business dinner with the Germans, although they didn't understand my pronunciation of the word Dach until I said it like I was declaring war :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you @Beverly. :)

Knots are only used by seafaring people. On land we use miles per hour.

Our measurements started to go bottom up with interference from the EU. Back in the early '70's we changed our money from pounds, shillings and pence to decimal pounds and pence. Imperial measurement - yards, pounds, pints etc. were also changed later to decimal - becoming metres, kilo's and litres. However the older generation and the stubborn amongst us still use the old imperial measurements when we can. :) Decimal is made confusing by the fact that nothing is consistent. When buying goods some things are measured in metres some in centimetres and many in millimetres, so we have to go armed with measurements in all of these including imperial measurement to make sure we don't get caught out. The same goes for weight and liquid too. Many of us are hoping that after Brexit we can revert to imperial.

And finally, we didn't convert to kilometres on the roads. Miles are still with us and the dials on our car dashboards have both for speed. The car's mileage counter is still the same - in miles. And yes, we still drive on the left! :D

Are you still with me? I've either totally confused you or sent you to sleep through boredom. :LOL:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qcurrys

Latest Threads