Ornamental Grasses

Reaction score
Although this plant is not a true grass but a sedge it deserves a mention on this thread - as not only is it pretty but is fun to have around.

Isolepsis Cernua or Fibre Optic Grass is a fascinating little grass like plant that is real eye catcher in the early evening

fiber_optica.jpg

when its silvery flower heads seem to light up in the late afternoon or early evening light bearing a striking resemble to the threads of fibre optic lights and looks good either planted in the ground, in containers or in hanging baskets on balconies and terraces and can even be grown as a houseplant

Fiber optic grass hanging.jpg

Fiber optic grass - blue pot.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I love grasses too. I've learned the hard way to be very careful which ones I set in the ground and where. Also to be very careful with those beautiful seed heads that I so admire. It is really hard work trying to remove some that have gotten away or simply aren't living up to expectations. All but two varieties I keep in pots. I have some trouble with the dogs liking some varieties. The ones pictured look good even at this time of year and provide some winter structure in the garden.

My dwarf pampas does not feel too dwarf. It is the potted plant on the right looking winter tired right now. I am hoping it will bloom for me for the first time next summer.

I don't remember what the little blue gray grass is but I looks lovely with a few clumps in the brick patio and by the fish pond.

image.jpg
Until this last year I had always kept the oshimensis sedge in pots. It is looking good in the new woodland garden (middle and bottom left). One clump has half reverting to the solid green. Hope it doesn't behave badly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes, Fibre Optic Grass is so pretty, I love it. The third picture is my favorite. Growing such a pretty grass in a flower pot is a wonderful idea. It looks great in hanging baskets too.
Jewell, thank you for sharing these lovely pictures! I would love to grow grass like this in my garden:)

Reaction score
Jewell - think your pictures a lovely and many thanks for posting them :) As you've probably already gathered I too - love grasses in the garden and mostly grow all the miscanthus varieties, hakonechloa and pennisetums so don't ever have much of a problem with them getting too carried away, but do know what you mean about the work involved in digging them up - especially as I have to lift and divide them every two years due to the size of the clumps - they seem to expand at an incredibily rapid pace.
Although there are quite a few blue grasses to choose from am thinking yours is possibly Fetusca - would I be right ?

Claudine - The third picture is my favorite too and would agree its an extremely pretty grass and especially so in the evening light :)

Reaction score
Blue ornamental grasses are one of the most popular and widely used grasses - so as Jewell has posted a picture of hers = thought I'd better add a few of the most popular varieties for anyone wishing to add them to their gardens.

Helictorichon Sempervirens or Blue Oat Grass

blue oat grass.jpg

Leymus Arenarius or Blue Lyme Grass which is available in differing shades of blue

leymus-arenarius-2.jpg

Leymus-arenarius in pot.jpg

Festuca or Blue Fescue Grass - is one of the most versatile of all ornamental grasses, as not only is it evergreen but it is almost totally indestructible too - with plenty of shades of blue to choose from

festucaglauca.jpg

Festuca garden.jpg

Festuca intense blue.jpg

All these grasses can be grown either in containers or directly in the ground.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
GM, great ID. You are right on about the blue fescue. Really drought resistant. I had to remove one and although it is only 6-10 inches tall the roots went down twice as far. The only time I have lost one was when a clump got shaded out with other plants.

Reaction score
While we are on the subject of small grasses - here are two new varieties of Carex which will be available this year and which although, again not a true grass but a sedge are well worth looking out for, particularly as they are evergreen and have very unusual really striking foliage that resembles miniature variegated palm trees - think they would add a dramatic and very striking effect to any style of garden and can be grown either directly in the ground or in a container.

Carex Phyllocephala - Sparkler

carex sparkler pot.jpg

Carex sparkler garden.jpg

Carex Phyllocephala - Spark Plug

Carex-Spark-Plug-Photo.jpg

carex spark plug garden.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I saw some black grasses at my local nursery recently, they looked really striking next to green foliage! These particular ones have pink flowers too, might have to get one as I bet they look really pretty in real life!

Ophiopogon

Ophiopogonplaniscapusnigrescens.jpg

Reaction score
Becky - yes even though black Ophinopogon has been around for quite sometime, it does appear to be becoming very popular again and even though its not a true grass but a member of the lily family - it is an extremely versatile plant that has the ability to compliment any situation and almost any plant, but think it looks particularly striking when mixed with variegated foliage - can be grown directly in the ground as well as in containers - here are some pics to enjoy

Ophiopogon Planiscapus - commonly know as Black Lilyturf or Black Mondo Grass has shiny black evergreen foliage and an abundance of summer flowers which vary from pink, pale violet to white.

black Mondo flowers.jpg

black-mondo-grass.jpg

black mondo by pond.jpg

black mondo Ophiopogon Black Beard.jpg

Black-Mondo-Grass varigated .jpg

Ask a Question