Ornamental Grape Vine Leaves for Dolmades?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have googled as to whether the leaves from the Ornamental Grape Vine are suitable to make Dolamades and one said yes.
Has any one tried it as I'd love to try it?
I have a wonderful Vine so have a great supply in Autumn. I was given plenty of cuttings which have taken beautifully and I am giving away in droves. I have also planted more on our fence line to obscure the neighbours, for part of the year any way.
I had a very tasty Vine Wrapped Fish dish in a restaurant once which I would love to attempt. I'm sure someone out there amongst us all would have some great recipes.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Just thought I'd follow up my own thread just in case it interests someone.
I asked a greek friend who has has grown grapes for wine making in both Greece and Australia and he says YES. I'm thrilled and here are his instructions to harvest and freeze. Pick saft green leaves end of winter or start of summer which is now for me. Cut off stalks leaving frame entact, see pic, then thread several together. i did 10, he does 20 for dolmades for his big Greeks family get togethers. TIe up, blanche for 30 seconds, shake out. i laid them on a tea towel and then freeze in paper bags. i haven't tried cooking with thrm yet but my first experiment will be the vine wrapped spicy fish.
rps20161206_072437.jpg
rps20161206_072415.jpg
rps20161206_072329.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've made dolmades and have wondered about this! Let us know how yours turned out...I've only ever used the canned grape leaves (several Middle Eastern markets around here.)

Ask a Question