Organic potatoes for seed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a couple organic potatoes as seed to test to see what I get for production against seed potatoes. Don't worry I'm not bringing in blight off of the organic potatoes. I already have it in the garden 2 years ago when I raise potatoes I had it on my potatoes. But I added sulfur so hopefully that'll bring the pH down.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If I understand correctly, that was organic potatoes fertilized by non organic chemical fertilizer? :woot:

I would be interested in what production ratio you get...i.e. pounds of new potatoes produced per pound of seed potato vs per pound of organic. Presumably all fertilized w/chemical fertilizers in the same amounts and all seed potatoes planted whole same as the organic shown in vid.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Umm
If I understand correctly, that was organic seed potatoes fertilized by non organic chemical fertilizer? :woot:

I would be interested in what production ratio you get...i.e. pounds of new potatoes produced per pound of seed potato vs per pound of organic.
Most fertilizer is organic it's just a sales gimmick. Isn't organic a naturally occurring product. I grew up on a massive farm. https://www.yara.com/crop-nutrition/why-fertilizer/production-of-fertillizer/. They are mostly made from natural deposits or mixing two natural products together. We are also in the cow industry. To call beef organic only means the last 3 months of its life it can't be given any chemicals or steroids of any sort. So to let you know most of it is phoney. Same with vegetables there is a timeline in there growing stage. It's just something you will have a heck of a time finding in primt if your not in the industry. Sorry to break the bad news.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I understand correctly, that was organic potatoes fertilized by non organic chemical fertilizer? :woot:

I would be interested in what production ratio you get...i.e. pounds of new potatoes produced per pound of seed potato vs per pound of organic. Presumably all fertilized w/chemical fertilizers in the same amounts and all seed potatoes planted whole same as the organic shown in vid.
Even oil is organic. By there own definition. But by the time it gets to the consumer it's ""not""

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Even oil is organic. By there own definition. But by the time it gets to the consumer it's ""not""

You missed the point entirely. To have any meaningful result you need to compare apples to apples...so to speak.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You missed the point entirely. To have any meaningful result you need to compare apples to apples...so to speak.
I did! i used the same fertilizer on all my potatoes. Just different seed. That is for the test! If i did a different fertilizer that would change the ending. I am trying to figure out what i get from different potato seed. So fertilizer has to be the same.

Ask a Question