Orange Tree Bark Disease

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I've got an orange tree in my back yard, and the bark of the trunk has been slowly disappearing over the last couple years. It still seems relatively healthy and bearing fruit, but I'm worried that the progression of whatever this is will kill it. Based on some searching, it seems to be a viral disease, but I can't be sure, as many other conditions seem to match what I'm seeing. I've attached a picture of the trunk. I'd like to know what the problem is, and whether there is a way to cure or at least slow the progression.

Cheers!
-Colordrops
20151229_101441.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All,

I've got an orange tree in my back yard, and the bark of the trunk has been slowly disappearing over the last couple years. It still seems relatively healthy and bearing fruit, but I'm worried that the progression of whatever this is will kill it. Based on some searching, it seems to be a viral disease, but I can't be sure, as many other conditions seem to match what I'm seeing. I've attached a picture of the trunk. I'd like to know what the problem is, and whether there is a way to cure or at least slow the progression.

Cheers!
-ColordropsView attachment 13266
If this tree is 20+ years old I suspect it is coming to the end of its lifespan. It looks as if it is suffering from black root rot which was brought on by the tree being originally planted to deep. If the tree isn't 20+ years old you may increase its life span a few years by digging away the soil around the base of the tree exposing the root flare

Last edited:

Ask a Question