What is this orange jelly growing on my Chinese cherry tree?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just noticed that on one side of my Chinese cherry tree there is some orange jelly coming out of it, what is it and how do I cure it? Actually I cannot tell if it is coming from the tree or some type of insect has put it there.

Pictures attached...............

Many Thanks

B

Attachments

• IMAG0544.jpg
    IMAG0544.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0545.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 299
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi

I just noticed that on one side of my Chinese cherry tree there is some orange jelly coming out of it, what is it and how do I cure it? Actually I cannot tell if it is coming from the tree or some type of insect has put it there.

Pictures attached...............

Many Thanks

B
The same thing happens on peach trees too. It can be caused by borers, insects or physical damage like it was hit by a mower or something. I also happens on older trees at the end of their life span. The orange stuff is actual liquids oozing from the interior. Sometimes you can leave it alone and it will stop. On my peach trees some of them have been oozing sap for 3 or 4 years. I know of nothing that can be done but that doesn't mean there isn't.

Ask a Question