Opinions of the TomTato

TomTato

• Total voters
Reaction score
So there is now this:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...kii8oQRrlIc5OjqDYsigdIJ3Da67EZ4kVmvYqMxA6azfQ

Fear not, it is not a GMO!! It is a graft between a Tomato and Potato! Apparently the taste doesn't vary a lot from the originals either. I think one of the biggest benefits is the space saving capacity - two yields, one plant, but is all the effort of grafting it, or the expense of purchasing it, worth it?

Thoughts? Cost/benefits?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
So there is now this:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...kii8oQRrlIc5OjqDYsigdIJ3Da67EZ4kVmvYqMxA6azfQ

Fear not, it is not a GMO!! It is a graft between a Tomato and Potato! Apparently the taste doesn't vary a lot from the originals either. I think one of the biggest benefits is the space saving capacity - two yields, one plant, but is all the effort of grafting it, or the expense of purchasing it, worth it?

Thoughts? Cost/benefits?
I cant seem to get my head around that, there is a completely different taste between the two and I suppose a tomato and potato together can taste good but a blend of the two dont know if I would like it!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I know someone thats grown some, better yields for the tomatoes and slightly better potato yield when grown undercover.

But like Bees pointed out, if the graft were to be covered then there's the risk of them growing potato apples, and you wouldn't want to eat one of those by mistake

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I cant seem to get my head around that, there is a completely different taste between the two and I suppose a tomato and potato together can taste good but a blend of the two dont know if I would like it!

The Tomatoes and Potatoes don't taste any different, this is just a way of growing both on the same plant :)

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
How unsual! I tried a guarange the other day and this is a mixture of a guave and an orange. It is strange to note that these can be blended together but at the same time an amazing invention. I must say that I prefer the taste of each one individually and the tomato and potato idea is good to be able to grow and maintain as I have found monitoring ech individual thing that has been planted a little too much for me to handle and I usually have my dad coming to fix my garden as I often have not used the correct soil or shade etc which he helps me fix. I have only every managed to grow herbs and tomatos, chilli and now artichokes which have grown really well so far!

Reaction score
It bothers me because the vegetables are too different. A tree that grows two different kinds of apples is cute, but mixing a tuber and a vine seems gross and unnatural.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I like to see these tings happening in the agriculture industry as it relates to advancements. This is the direction that we should be heading toward as a people in the attempt to alleviate world hunger. I am impressed with this level of technology and though i wonder how it appear that way, i am happy to see it none the less :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
but is all the effort of grafting it, or the expense of purchasing it, worth it?

I can understand grafting fruit trees like the one shown in this thread but I can't understand why someone would go to the time and expense of grafting two plants that only have a short lifespan. Unless it was just a gardening enthusiast challenging himself to prove that it can be done.

Ask a Question