Opinions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
I realized today, I'm very insecure gardener, I guess it comes with experience,
IMG_0892.JPG
I'm not good at judging where things should go.
Should these hosta follow the curve of the path along the edge more? Or do you have a suggestion as to what I can fill that section in with?
I'm not sure what else to plant there as it's already a pretty busy area, I will be removing those hanging baskets. Maybe also painting that lattice next year so it's the same color as the gazebo?

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like your idea of having the hosta follow the curve of the path.
Then maybe something low growing and colorful to fill in the rest of the area...phlox or ajuga or something like that?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe also painting that lattice next year so it's the same color as the gazebo?

I guess it would depend on how you see the lattice. If you see it as only there for plants to grow on, then maybe you would want to paint it so it blends in more. If you see it as an accent piece to the gazebo, then don't paint it the same color.

I think the white looks nice, but just a little stark. The only thing I would do is plant something to grow up the sides so that bits of lattice are showing from behind the plants. I like the way the front looks better than the sides. I like the white peeking out from the plants. :) This might be because I am a big fan of lattice, and YMMV. :D

Bottom line - If it bothers you, paint it. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would place the hostas in a triangle ...
A couple of heucheras like Obsidion or Taffeta would both complement and provide evergreen interest.
However, hakonechloa would be my choice there Lynn:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I think I'm with Verdun or close. To establish some balance if that is what you want, plant 3 Hosta down the right side edging.... starting kind of where that Lavender is? On the other hand you don't have to use the same plant, but plant 3 like sized (to the Hosta) plants there instead. 3 of the Lavender for instance. That will bring in the symmetry, but gives variation. Fill in the V portion with something a little smaller.

The Hosta following the curve would then require a lager middle ground plant, it's needed to fill in the space and would have to be bigger than the Hosta to be seen.

I guess if the path on the left is the focal point then curving the Hosta would not be so bad, just you lower plants would be oriented to the path as the front of the landscape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
I think anything is fine as long as the boarder gets somewhat defined by plants. Just don't have an undefined boarder that people mistake for weeds. You might wanna consider a dedicated annual flower section somewhere in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
I guess it would depend on how you see the lattice. If you see it as only there for plants to grow on, then maybe you would want to paint it so it blends in more. If you see it as an accent piece to the gazebo, then don't paint it the same color.

I think the white looks nice, but just a little stark. The only thing I would do is plant something to grow up the sides so that bits of lattice are showing from behind the plants. I like the way the front looks better than the sides. I like the white peeking out from the plants. :) This might be because I am a big fan of lattice, and YMMV. :D

Bottom line - If it bothers you, paint it. (y)

I actually planted more clematis on each side so eventually it should be full . (Hopefully)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
I would place the hostas in a triangle ...
A couple of heucheras like Obsidion or Taffeta would both complement and provide evergreen interest.
However, hakonechloa would be my choice there Lynn:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is a problem with the location of the hosta. They need a lot of shade and if the clematis are doing well then there is too much sun for the hosta to do well. They will grow but not thrive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
They thrive here mgmine in the sun.......I think the important factor is the soil......keeping it rich and moisture retentive then they will do well in the sun. I found too much shade can spoil the variegation too so dappled shade is ideal
These are in the ground and one, Fire and Ice, is in a pot and although it can quickly burn in hot sun this one gets sun from early morning to mid afternoon

Ask a Question