Tree that produces 40 different kinds of fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
At first I thought it would be a GMO tree, but I was pleasantly surprised to read that it's not :)

http://www.sciencealert.com/news/20142107-25892.html

40-fruits.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
That mixture of colours is quite spectacular.

I've heard of trees with a few different types of fruit grafted onto them, but I didn't realise it was possible to grow so many different types on one tree. How wonderful that would be for someone with a small garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is an amazing tree and I have never seen anything like it. Where is that tree located, and what kind is it. I would pay top dollar to have that kind of tree growing in my front yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it looks like a tree from a fairy tale!:love: I love it, I want to grow it! It's absolutely gorgeous. Also, having 40 different kinds of fresh fruits would be really nice:D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The tree is something we could use to help provide more fresh fruit to families in their own backyards. I would not mind having one in my yard. The ability to go out and get the fruit you want without having more than you can use at anyone time would be great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
There are only 16 in the world, so I'm sure you'd pay top dollar for one, Rosy ;) If you click on the link you can find out where they are. It's a nice story. It all started to save some orchard that run out of funding.

Reaction score
It's cool that he's planning to grow an orchard of these trees in a city setting. Not only will it beautify the city, but I'm sure that the fruit will be put to good use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Not a fruit tree, but the concept behind this is similar. I created this little tree (bonsai in training) from cuttings of 3 different varieties of Ficus Benjamina. No branches were grafted on this tree, as the trunks of the cuttings were plaited together while still very young and have fused so well that the joins hardly show. It has fooled a few members of my bonsai club, who didn't notice the joins.
PC273873-triple-ficus.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
This tree looks amazing. It's gorgeous and sounds tasty. :X3: I would love to have one. I wonder how much they cost though. There's a few 3-type apple trees for sale here but they cost around $300 for one that is only a few months old. o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gina145, your bonsai tree looks very unique, I've never seen anything like it. It's truly beautiful!:D I love it. How big is it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Awesome bonsai, Gina!

Thanks R.R.

Gina145, your bonsai tree looks very unique, I've never seen anything like it. It's truly beautiful!:D I love it. How big is it?

Thanks claudine. It's not very big. Probably a little under 12 inches, but I'd have to measure it to be sure and I'm not going outside in the dark to check, so I hope I'm not too far out.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
OMG that tree is just about beautiful and I would pretty much die to have it in my front yard!!! Even if it didn't produce fruits!!! lol, Amazing the things found now a days :) I love this idea and 40+ fruits is definitely ideal!

Ask a Question