Only Small Onions...12 years and still failing

Reaction score
Country
United States
No success with onions. Been trying for 12 years...sets, plants, in rows of amended and fertilized soil. Tried containers. Red, yellow, white, etc. Long day varietes for NE PA. Watered and fertilized at recommended intervals. Result? Always the same...golf ball sized or smaller onions. I feel jinxed. Tried planting just below surface and 1" below surface. Close together and farther apart. No difference. HELP!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Whenever my onions are small it is caused by the weather going from hot to cold to hot to cold. Onion bulb size is determined by hours of daylight so if yours are in any kind of shade that is a factor too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Chris. What part of the country are you in? What type of soil do you have? It sounds like you have given it a good try, but there has to be a reason.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Onions need to be kept growing steadily, the final bulb size depends on the amount of leaf formed. As their roots are relatively shallow they don't appreciate deep cultivation while growing, so I hand weed or use a small onion hoe. In the UK I plant sets in March, with a trowel as pushing them into the surface can damage the base of them, just deep enough to deter the birds from pulling them all out. I work in some blood fish and bone before planting and then use a general purpose granular fertiliser when they are growing strongly. If we get a longish dry spell I water. Leaves develop until about midsummer when the bulbs start to bulk up. I remove any flowers I see and these get used first. In July the leaves go over and go brown. I lift in August, allow to dry off and then string up in shed where they keep at least until Easter sometimes into June.
I should say I have no idea about American varieties, I grow varieties like Sturon and Stuttgarter for domestic use not for size or exhibition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As @Silentrunning stated, there has to be a reason. So let's start with nutrition. What exactly did you feed them with, when did you feed them and how much did you feed them?
What is your soils Ph?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Howdy Chris. I've grown a lot onions for a lot of years here in Texas and maybe learned a few thing along the way. My conditions are very different here from what you grow in, but take that into account.

First comes the choice of the set or seed if you prefer. You will need a long day variety in your area. Select recommended varieties for your specific area.

Sets should be planted as shallow as possible. The soil should be prepared well in advance of planting. Additives like bone meal, cow manure, and ground rock phosphorous should be worked into the soil well in advance of planting. Also, they need a relatively neutral ph so add lime if needed again well in advance of planting. Soil preparation is extremely important. I constantly try to improve my soils with cover crops and additives. The big onions are "grown" well before you actually plant, if you understand what I mean.

Now for planting...Give them plenty of room to grow in...4-6 inch diameter onions need space. You want to encourage as many leafs as possible, as they make the big bulbs. As far as fertilizer goes after planting, go with high nitrogen. Your "P" and "K" should have already been worked into the soil before planting. I like fish emulsion applied weekly during growing season.

I'm a complete believer in loosening the dirt around the bulb or better yet pulling dirt back some. Do this when the bulb really takes off in growth. They need regular water about 1 inch a week. Do not under any circumstances let them get extremely dry during growth. Withdraw water about a week before harvest to improve storage.

Those are the important big ticket items that come to mind. I'm sure I've forgot something so a question or two or three might jog my memory and would be welcome.

I love to grow big onions....last year's crop was topped by a 4 plus pounder, delicious. Very fun and very rewarding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As @Silentrunning stated, there has to be a reason. So let's start with nutrition. What exactly did you feed them with, when did you feed them and how much did you feed them? What is your soils Ph?
Onions need to be kept growing steadily, the final bulb size depends on the amount of leaf formed. As their roots are relatively shallow they don't appreciate deep cultivation while growing, so I hand weed or use a small onion hoe. In the UK I plant sets in March, with a trowel as pushing them into the surface can damage the base of them, just deep enough to deter the birds from pulling them all out. I work in some blood fish and bone before planting and then use a general purpose granular fertiliser when they are growing strongly. If we get a longish dry spell I water. Leaves develop until about midsummer when the bulbs start to bulk up. I remove any flowers I see and these get used first. In July the leaves go over and go brown. I lift in August, allow to dry off and then string up in shed where they keep at least until Easter sometimes into June. I should say I have no idea about American varieties, I grow varieties like Sturon and Stuttgarter for domestic use not for size or exhibition.
As @Silentrunning stated, there has to be a reason. So let's start with nutrition. What exactly did you feed them with, when did you feed them and how much did you feed them?
What is your soils Ph?
Slightly akaline soil. Miracle Gro ever 2 to 3 weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Slightly akaline soil. Miracle Gro ever 2 to 3 weeks.
My soil is alkaline, around 7.8 and onions like slightly acidic soil the best. Your Ph is fine. I don't like really big onions and I grow onions that normally grow to around 1/4 - 1/2 lb. Having said this here is what I believe your problem/problems are. Number one is your fertilizer. And number two is lack of organic matter in your soil. I am sure your onions are not getting the proper nutrition, especially by using a fertilizer like MG. Fertilize with a good fertilizer like Espoma or Dr Earth or any of the good organic fertilizers but please stay away from MG or Scotts products. Even their organic products are IMO sub-standard. Add a LOT of organic materials, leaves, clippings, kitchen waste, compost etc. Use molasses to jump start the soil micro-organisms. Use liquid seaweed on your garden. It provides a lot of minerals that onions need which synthetic fertilizers do not have.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Slightly akaline soil.

That could well be a big part of the problem...if you want to grow more than scrawny onions. My soil is about 6 and produces huge delicious onions.

"Onions, like most veggies, grow best in slightly acidic soil. Ideally, soil for onions should have a pH level of 5.5 to 6.5, according to the National Gardening Association. At the high end of this range, soil nutrients are most easily accessed. While onions can survive when grown at a different pH level, they won't grow particularly well. "

Reaction score
Country
United States
My soil is alkaline, around 7.8 and onions like slightly acidic soil the best. Your Ph is fine. I don't like really big onions and I grow onions that normally grow to around 1/4 - 1/2 lb. Having said this here is what I believe your problem/problems are. Number one is your fertilizer. And number two is lack of organic matter in your soil. I am sure your onions are not getting the proper nutrition, especially by using a fertilizer like MG. Fertilize with a good fertilizer like Espoma or Dr Earth or any of the good organic fertilizers but please stay away from MG or Scotts products. Even their organic products are IMO sub-standard. Add a LOT of organic materials, leaves, clippings, kitchen waste, compost etc. Use molasses to jump start the soil micro-organisms. Use liquid seaweed on your garden. It provides a lot of minerals that onions need which synthetic fertilizers do not have.
And, here I was under the impression that onions were relatively easy to grow. I will take your suggestions under advisement. Hey, as Brooklyn Dodger fans used to cry..."there's always next year!" Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That could well be a big part of the problem...if you want to grow more than scrawny onions. My soil is about 6 and produces huge delicious onions.

"Onions, like most veggies, grow best in slightly acidic soil. Ideally, soil for onions should have a pH level of 5.5 to 6.5, according to the National Gardening Association. At the high end of this range, soil nutrients are most easily accessed. While onions can survive when grown at a different pH level, they won't grow particularly well. "
I will keep an eye on the old "power of Hydrogen". Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And, here I was under the impression that onions were relatively easy to grow. I will take your suggestions under advisement. Hey, as Brooklyn Dodger fans used to cry..."there's always next year!" Thanks!
They are easy to grow if planted in fertile soil and MG does NOT make for a fertile soil. Organic material does.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy Chris. I've grown a lot onions for a lot of years here in Texas and maybe learned a few thing along the way. My conditions are very different here from what you grow in, but take that into account.

First comes the choice of the set or seed if you prefer. You will need a long day variety in your area. Select recommended varieties for your specific area.

Sets should be planted as shallow as possible. The soil should be prepared well in advance of planting. Additives like bone meal, cow manure, and ground rock phosphorous should be worked into the soil well in advance of planting. Also, they need a relatively neutral ph so add lime if needed again well in advance of planting. Soil preparation is extremely important. I constantly try to improve my soils with cover crops and additives. The big onions are "grown" well before you actually plant, if you understand what I mean.

Now for planting...Give them plenty of room to grow in...4-6 inch diameter onions need space. You want to encourage as many leafs as possible, as they make the big bulbs. As far as fertilizer goes after planting, go with high nitrogen. Your "P" and "K" should have already been worked into the soil before planting. I like fish emulsion applied weekly during growing season.

I'm a complete believer in loosening the dirt around the bulb or better yet pulling dirt back some. Do this when the bulb really takes off in growth. They need regular water about 1 inch a week. Do not under any circumstances let them get extremely dry during growth. Withdraw water about a week before harvest to improve storage.

Those are the important big ticket items that come to mind. I'm sure I've forgot something so a question or two or three might jog my memory and would be welcome.

I love to grow big onions....last year's crop was topped by a 4 plus pounder, delicious. Very fun and very rewarding.
Lots of info to digest. Meadowlark. I lived in San Antonio for 4 years. Did not do any
They are easy to grow if planted in fertile soil and MG does NOT make for a fertile soil. Organic material does.
I grew this year's onion plants in conditioned straw bales. I used the recommended high nitrogen lawn fertilizer to condition them for 18 days according to the "experts". The straw breaks down into a high nitrogen compost that one plants the onions into. I was getting great tops with lots of leaves and developing bulbs, but then, they just stopped growing. I had used more of the lawn fertilizer as suggested and watered them once a week. More mysteries. Thanks for your suggestions.

Ask a Question