One big tomato on Mr Stripey?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The plant looks healthy, has lots of flowers but only one large tomato. It's been on the plant for about 2 weeks or more, but the plant doesn't seem to be making more tomatoes. Is this common for this variety? I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia and the plant has been in the ground with full sun since the end of March, beginning of April. The plant is about 5 feet tall in a tomato cagel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The plant looks healthy, has lots of flowers but only one large tomato. It's been on the plant for about 2 weeks or more, but the plant doesn't seem to be making more tomatoes. Is this common for this variety? I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia and the plant has been in the ground with full sun since the end of March, beginning of April. The plant is about 5 feet tall in a tomato cagel
Nighttime temperatures and humidity are the #1 main factors for fruit set in tomatoes. When nighttime temperatures fluctuate up and down fruit set is limited. I have never grown Mr. Stripey but I do know that some varieties are more susceptible to these temperature fluctuations than others and also it seems that the larger the tomato the more susceptible they become. In my garden this year I am having the same problem with a variety called Carbon. It has two tomatoes and the blooms just open up for a few days and then fall off. My Cherokee Purple and Celebrity are doing great. Even my mid-season Arkansas Travelers are setting a lot of fruit. My Super Sioux is a mid- season mid-size tomato and they are already ripening. I don't think it is anything you are doing or not doing thats causing this. Hopefully these nighttime temps will settle down

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
If it is not negative factors, it is low-family facility. Plant must be override by growth with years. Selection gains.

Ask a Question