How do get bigger tomatoes and Radish

Reaction score
First Tomato question - Two plants in different pots, but from the same batch of seeds.
One plant has regular size tomatoes. The other one has smaller tomatoes - size of a ping pong ball.
The pot size, soil, all are same. The big tomato plan is healthier - greener and bigger leaves. I have no idea why the other one is kinda dry and leaf less.

Now the Radish question - I am growing Daikon radish. This has been one of the easiest veggies to grow. The seedlings sprout in just 2 days! The leaves look so green and yummy. But the radish itself is not big in diameter. It's half the diameter of the radish you get in supermarket. Mine are about 1inch in diameter.
I harvest them 4 weeks from the day of planting seeds. Am I doing it early?

Reaction score
It sounds like the radish might need more time, but I have never grown them so I'm not exactly sure.

Sometimes plants just are not equal. There may be no way to know why the one plant didn't grow healthy and the other did. I would dry moving it to a sunnier location and seeing if that might help, but other than that, it may just be the way that plant is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First Tomato question - Two plants in different pots, but from the same batch of seeds.
One plant has regular size tomatoes. The other one has smaller tomatoes - size of a ping pong ball.
The pot size, soil, all are same. The big tomato plan is
If they were hybrid tomatoes one of the plants came from a younger non-stabilized seed.
If they were open pollinated plants the seed was from a weaker or damaged plant but more than likely the seeds came from a hybrid. I don't know about radishes because I don't grow them

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been growing plants long enough to know that they sometimes can be fickle. In the exact same conditions some are healthier than others. The only explanation I can give is that perhaps the seeds were different in some way. Maybe one was physically damaged, or one was genetically different in some way. That is why I try to plant as many as possible, even if the seeds are from the same batch.

Reaction score
An update on Radishes - My second batch of radishes are bigger in size. I did not do anything different than the first batch. Same pot, same soil, same location.
Maybe the soil is more fertile now.
As for the tomatoes - no change yet. But on another tomato plant (that grew by itself) the fruits are bigger.I just have to find a way to get more of these.
I also bought a big ripe tomato from the supermarket, sliced it and put it in a pot. I might get lucky!

Ask a Question