Olive tree - black spots, drying leaves and bites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

My olive tree has small black spots all over the leaves and branches. The dots aren't moving so I think it is faeces from an insect rather than an insect itself ( but not certain)

In addition to this the leaves have bites all over on the edges and some leaves are starting to dry up ( see photos).

Does anyone know what this could be and whether this is created by one or multiple problems?

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a few images
PXL_20220103_101333939.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums

Look at night with a flashlight in the dark. You may surprise the insect feeding. Sometimes by the time the chewed leaves are noticed the insect has already crawled off to pupate.The black specks are likely some type of frass (insect feces).
Depending on the insect different treatments will be effective.

Also, the thinness and color of these Olive (Olea europaea) leaves suggest that it is not getting enough light. If possible place it in a sunnier spot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Marck! I have already had a look a couple of times but can't see anything :-/ I guess some of these insects are also well "camouflaged". Thanks also for the advice on placing it in a sunnier spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is an insect, probably a beetle, and you can use Neem or spinosad to control it. Or, since it won't kill your plant and I'm guessing it's inside, do nothing and eventually it will die or move on.

Ask a Question