Okra flower

Reaction score
Hmm... I started my okra from the seeds I got for free at a fair here. I then planted a bunch of them in a round container. They grow pretty fast unlike other vegetables. They also don't die easily because birds, for some reason, don't eat their leaves. Just water them regularly. I water mine twice a day because the climate here is very hot. I transferred directly to the soil about a month after I planted them.

Thank you for the tips! Anything that grows quickly and easily sounds good to me :) I can't wait to have some fresh okra to cook with.

Reaction score
You are too kind! I have two gardens now and I've been busy with the event and relationship stuff. I joined a gardener's swap group on Facebook a few months back, and I now have a bunch of plants and cuttings from three other gardeners I've been looking after. I should probably start a post about those!

Yayyy! That sounds like a lot fun! I wish we had a gardener's swap group here, there are many cuttings of plants Id love to have! Good thing is I'm not supposed to garden right now, so I will just wait until I move! I hope you do :) I'd love to see those cuttings! Just wanted you to know you are missed here :)

Reaction score
I grew okra for my father for many years. It was his favorite veggie of all. I would fry it, pickle it, and stew it for him. But, I never figured out how to just boil it for him without it becoming slimmy. Does anyone know the trick of how to cook it without this happening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I grew okra for my father for many years. It was his favorite veggie of all. I would fry it, pickle it, and stew it for him. But, I never figured out how to just boil it for him without it becoming slimmy. Does anyone know the trick of how to cook it without this happening?
Whenever I boil the okra, it really grows slimy. I don't mind though because okra really is slimy. I know that some people don't like the vegetable because of the sliminess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...I wish we had a gardener's swap group here, there are many cuttings of plants Id love to have!

Maybe after you move you can reach out to some people in your area who garden. I think someone I know added me to one group and Facebook suggested the other. The second group is much more active than the first.

Reaction score
I never thought that okras have such beautiful flowers. I just want to share this picture I took of one of the flowers of my okra plant. I'm sorry for the quality though! I'm not a good photographer. :p

I had absolutely no idea either!!! I don't know much about okra to begin with so this is a surprise for sure!! Thank you for sharing such a pretty flower with us. You learn something new everyday right?? :)

Thanks again!!

Danyel :)

2wmn912.jpg

Ask a Question