Growing Okra

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had some extra space this year and decided to grow some okra for the 1st time. I usually only grow peppers, tomatos, and squash so this is new territory. I'm wondering if okra does well when growing two plants with each other. With pepper plants I've always grown 2 together as one bc it's always produced better yields and the fruit gets extra shielding from the sun. So should I grow 1 plant or leave 2 together at a time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had some extra space this year and decided to grow some okra for the 1st time. I usually only grow peppers, tomatos, and squash so this is new territory. I'm wondering if okra does well when growing two plants with each other. With pepper plants I've always grown 2 together as one bc it's always produced better yields and the fruit gets extra shielding from the sun. So should I grow 1 plant or leave 2 together at a time.
My rows are 42 feet long and I plant 40 plants per row. One plant won't give you that much okra if you like okra like I do. It is too early to plant okra in zone 7. It is too early to plant here too. Wait until the 1st of May when the soil will be a lot warmer. Okras are large plants. Space them at least 1 ft apart.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I grow OKRA in zone 5, but if the Summer is cool production is low. I don't plant until 1 June. It has to be warm.

25 August 2016 Okra
Posted on August 25, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/August%202016/25%20August%202016%20Okra/HTML/ 25 August 2016 Okra
There are four Okra plant growing very well this year due to hot dry weather. The pods must be picked daily or they get hard and inedible. The largest in this group is too mature to eat. I cut them into slices and sauté in butter. The flowers last one day and are pretty in their clean simplicity. Some years thy grow poorly due to inclement weather. This year is the best my plants have ever grown in Zone 5.
dsc_250725%20august%202016%20tomato%20celery_std.jpg

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My rows are 42 feet long and I plant 40 plants per row. One plant won't give you that much okra if you like okra like I do. It is too early to plant okra in zone 7. It is too early to plant here too. Wait until the 1st of May when the soil will be a lot warmer.
I'm sorry I guess I needed to specify a little better. I'm not going to plant just 1 or 2 plants. I meant when I plant the seeds--say 2 or 3 per hole, do I thin them down to just 1 plant or do I thin them down to 2 plants per hole. I'm wondering if the same effect would happen like when you do peppers this way. Thanks for the input nonetheless...

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grow OKRA in zone 5, but if the Summer is cool production is low. I don't plant until 1 June. It has to be warm.

25 August 2016 Okra
Posted on August 25, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/August%202016/25%20August%202016%20Okra/HTML/ 25 August 2016 Okra
There are four Okra plant growing very well this year due to hot dry weather. The pods must be picked daily or they get hard and inedible. The largest in this group is too mature to eat. I cut them into slices and sauté in butter. The flowers last one day and are pretty in their clean simplicity. Some years thy grow poorly due to inclement weather. This year is the best my plants have ever grown in Zone 5.
dsc_250725%20august%202016%20tomato%20celery_std.jpg
Thanks for the info..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sorry I guess I needed to specify a little better. I'm not going to plant just 1 or 2 plants. I meant when I plant the seeds--say 2 or 3 per hole, do I thin them down to just 1 plant or do I thin them down to 2 plants per hole. I'm wondering if the same effect would happen like when you do peppers this way. Thanks for the input nonetheless...
I plant 5 or 6 seeds about 2 inches apart and then thin the weakest one every 5 or 6 days or until 1 emerges as the biggest.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I plant 5 or 6 seeds about 2 inches apart and then thin the weakest one every 5 or 6 days or until 1 emerges as the biggest.

1 per hole is what I've been gathering as well from my research. Thanks again

Ask a Question