Noticing any Price Increases?

Reaction score
How much of that is tax on the gas? Is beef that expensive because cattle aren't raised there? I wonder why the big difference between here and there?

Normally we get taxed 9 cents on the dollar here in our state. I am not sure about the taxes in the rest of the states. I saw an ad for good ribeyes going for $5.99 a pound but generally they run higher than that. Most of the time it is around $9 to $12+ per pound for tbones or ribeyes. We do have beef cattle raised here in the US but in the areas that they are raised in has been hit by lots of droughts for the past several years killing off the grazing lands and the corn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Normally we get taxed 9 cents on the dollar here in our state. I am not sure about the taxes in the rest of the states. I saw an ad for good ribeyes going for $5.99 a pound but generally they run higher than that. Most of the time it is around $9 to $12+ per pound for tbones or ribeyes. We do have beef cattle raised here in the US but in the areas that they are raised in has been hit by lots of droughts for the past several years killing off the grazing lands and the corn.
9%? Here in Texas it is 6 3/4% but no tax on food. I haven't seen a good steak for less than $8 in at least 2 years. The drought has hit us hard. Most of the ranchers had to sell off their cattle because of the cost of feed and hay

Reaction score
The chain stores normally run the nurseries out of business here. I did find some discounted plants at Walmart today.

Oh boo, that sucks! It's such a shame those nurseries don't make it, but it makes sense the big retail stores can offer lower prices. For me it's a strange concept tho. But I'm glad that you found your plants at Walmart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Glad you got yourself some new roses. I am afraid in our situation diapers, gas and food become necessary before other things that we want. It just all depends on a persons situation. Enjoy those roses.
My rose was a gift, I didn't have to pay for it. It's a really gorgeous plant, I'll post a few pictures of it tomorrow.
I know that some expenses are more important than the others, but personally, I can't stop myself when I'm in a gardening store;)

Reaction score
9%? Here in Texas it is 6 3/4% but no tax on food. I haven't seen a good steak for less than $8 in at least 2 years. The drought has hit us hard. Most of the ranchers had to sell off their cattle because of the cost of feed and hay

We have a tax on everything except prescription drugs. Listed below is the state taxes and of course each county/city can implement its own taxes as well.
Groceries: 2%Clothing: 4.75%Prepared Food: 8.25%Prescription Drugs: EXEMPT
Non-Prescription Drugs: 4.75%

@Trellum It is a shame but I am so glad I got my plants. I am so tired after all of that work this weekend but it was well worth it.

@claudine I hope you enjoy that rose. I understand the urges of the gardening store. I wish I could buy so many things. If I could buy all I wanted I would not have any room left on these ten acres and I would have to hop on over to my neighbors yard and start planting. :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope you enjoy that rose. I understand the urges of the gardening store. I wish I could buy so many things. If I could buy all I wanted I would not have any room left on these ten acres and I would have to hop on over to my neighbors yard and start planting. :eek:
It's the same with me, I'm running out of space too. I dream of having more windowsills and a bigger garden. The bigger, the better. Taking over neighbors' yards sounds like a very tempting idea:cool:

Reaction score
Oh Shelly Ann, I'm sure I'll also have t buy most of my plants if not all from a chain gardening store once I move, so I truly hope the prices over there don't keep raising as well or else we might start dreading every summer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SEEDS ARE CHEAP. If your house plants aren't dead most of the time you can take cuttings, air layer them or divide them I just don't understant why folks buy annual plants when seeds are so easy. Plus, in addition to saving a bunch of money you also will have a sense of accomplishment. If you don't know how, ask. Someone on this forum will tell you how

Reaction score
Do you have any local farmers' markets in your area? This might be a great place to save money and support your local community.

Reaction score
@claudine LOL yes the neighbors might get a bit ticked off if we start using their yards as our gardens. Although, I think I could highly improve the look of the neighbor's yard!

@Trellum It is rather disappointing. I saw so many bushes that I would love to have but they were way out of my price range.

@Chuck I am a firm believer in seeds. I always buy seeds at the end of the season when I can get a deep discount. I have planted several of my flowers from seeds this year. However things such as the succulents that I was eyeing can only be bought or you can get a piece from a friend. No one that I know has any of these succulents so I would be out of luck. Also I saw several bushes that I loved but then again they are not sold as seeds.

@MindyT there are a few around every once in a while. Hubby actually bought me 4 rose bushes from a local group that was sitting at a gas station in town when he come home from work in May. He actually got a good deal for those bushes but they did not have anything else with them. We luck up like that once in a while.

Ask a Question