No Monarch Butterflies this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG- unfortunately, yes. I've never seen any hummingbirds here.
Trellum - I always make all juices by myself, I don't buy them at a store:) But if hummingbirds prefer sweet water, this is what I'd give them:) I'd do anything to attract them to my garden.

Reaction score
You could try what channel suggested, flower syrups, hopefully she can tell us how she prepares those ;) I might try getting a hummingbird feeder in the future, maybe 3 of them and also start growing the right plants :love: I want to get an all white garden :D Something like this:

sissinghurst-white-garden-pergolawm.jpg

Screen+Shot+2012-06-08+at+5.22.33+PM.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These pictures are so gorgeous!:love::love::love: I can't express enough how much I love them. I dream of having an all-white garden too. They look like something from a fairy-tale and they always make me think about castles and princesses.

I found a picture of an adorable hummingbird:

1+9516.jpg

Reaction score
That's beautiful! Those are really hard to photograph! What a beautiful thing! Those little birdies seem to be in such a hurry all the time, I read they have very fast metabolisms so they need to eat often. I bet they sleep very little :giggle: I liked the flowers too :) Love purple and white combined! The red/pink is pretty too!

As for the garden... I wanted a red and black one before, hahahahaha, but not anymore! Too dramatic! An all white garden with some perfectly trimmed green bushes and a few trees... Love those small white flowers that seem to be everywhere in those pics :) I wonder what they are? They make everything look more girlie and nice :love:

What kind of trees would you like in your all white garden?!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Trellum, those photos are gorgeous! I don't know what it is about white flowers! I would love to have a long drive framed by rows of white crepe myrtle on either side. I've been hoping for miniature white roses the next time someone decides to give me potted flowers.

@claudine, have you not seen any hummingbirds or is it that they are not native to your area? I used to think there were none here until I saw one. It didn't happen until I was an adult.

Oh, and I finally have monarch caterpillars on my milkweed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum - I would like to grow poplars in my all white garden. They're my favorite trees, I love looking at them:love:
What trees would you choose?
I completely agree, those small white flowers look very sweet and girlie. I think that some of them are daisies, but I may be wrong.
ChanellG - they aren't native to my area. Fortunately, the climate is changing:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Aw, sorry to learn that, @claudine. Perhaps one day you will have the opportunity to travel someplace and see a hummingbird in person. I saw my first one when I was about 12 or 13 years old. I was in the northern part of California at the time. I couldn't believe it! I almost flipped when I saw one here several years later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope so! I'm not a big fan of travelling and I'm scared of venomous animals that live in exotic countries, but I'd love to see hummingbirds. They look so adorable in pictures! I must find out if they live somewhere in Europe.

Reaction score
Trellum - I would like to grow poplars in my all white garden. They're my favorite trees, I love looking at them:love:
What trees would you choose?
I completely agree, those small white flowers look very sweet and girlie. I think that some of them are daisies, but I may be wrong.
ChanellG - they aren't native to my area. Fortunately, the climate is changing:)

Poplars? I googled them and got this back:

trees_poplars_podebrady-0838.jpg

Are those the trees you want to grow? If so... I must say they are lovely!!!! What a beautiful shape!! I'd grow those as well!!! If given the chance!!! But there are so many beautiful trees out there!!! It's so hard to pick one... :love: I sometimes think my all white garden would look even nicer with a few Wisterias, hehehehe!!! But maybe it'd be too much, don't you think? I like the sober color of poplars :) I like how they'd contrast in a garden full of white flowers and plants :love::love: Green trees and bushes always look nice in an all green garden :love:

Reaction score
@Trellum, those photos are gorgeous! I don't know what it is about white flowers! I would love to have a long drive framed by rows of white crepe myrtle on either side. I've been hoping for miniature white roses the next time someone decides to give me potted flowers.

@claudine, have you not seen any hummingbirds or is it that they are not native to your area? I used to think there were none here until I saw one. It didn't happen until I was an adult.

Oh, and I finally have monarch caterpillars on my milkweed!

That sounds lovely! I just googled ''white crepe myrtle'':

Picture%20Plants%20Crape%20Myrtle%20Natchez.jpg

These are lovely!!! They don't grow very tall, do they? I bet they'd look lovely on both sides of that long drive! I'd actually like to get something similar as well :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Poplars? I googled them and got this back:

trees_poplars_podebrady-0838.jpg

Are those the trees you want to grow? If so... I must say they are lovely!!!! What a beautiful shape!! I'd grow those as well!!! If given the chance!!! But there are so many beautiful trees out there!!! It's so hard to pick one... :love: I sometimes think my all white garden would look even nicer with a few Wisterias, hehehehe!!! But maybe it'd be too much, don't you think? I like the sober color of poplars :) I like how they'd contrast in a garden full of white flowers and plants :love::love: Green trees and bushes always look nice in an all green garden :love:
Yes, those are the trees I want to grow!:love::love: They are gorgeous, aren't they? For some reason, whenever I see poplars, I want to drink wine and read poetry, lol. It must have something to do with their tallness.
As for Wisterias, I believe that they would look gorgeous in any garden!:D It's a great choice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Without looking it up, I can't say for certain how tall they get, @Trellum. I've seen some pretty old ones that have substantial trunks, but they don't reach up to the sky like a red wood. When properly trained, they are elegant and graceful, and they make such a pretty showing when they are in bloom.

Reaction score
Awesome :) I'd consider getting a few of those as well :) I'm not sure they'd end up looking very elegant or graceful tho, hehehe! I'm not that good taking care of tress, specially pruning them, but I'd love to give that one a try :love:

Reaction score
Yes, those are the trees I want to grow!:love::love: They are gorgeous, aren't they? For some reason, whenever I see poplars, I want to drink wine and read poetry, lol. It must have something to do with their tallness.
As for Wisterias, I believe that they would look gorgeous in any garden!:D It's a great choice!

They really are! I think they're very elegant on their own :) I like wisterias too, but in a way I think they're kinda dramatic, hehehe, lovely and colorful, but sometimes I feel like getting something more sober and elegant, like your poplars :love: I mean, if I get a garden full of wisterias maybe my garden would end up looking kinda flash or even tacky :oops: Maybe just one wisteria and a few poplars? :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Awesome :) I'd consider getting a few of those as well :) I'm not sure they'd end up looking very elegant or graceful tho, hehehe! I'm not that good taking care of tress, specially pruning them, but I'd love to give that one a try :love:

They don't seem to need much care, particularly once they are established. You could probably get them at a good size where there are already four or five feet tall and trained into a good shape. You would probably only have to worry about cutting away the little shoots that grow out at the bottom and make it look unruly. It's so lovely to see little groves of them in the park here.

Ask a Question