No Monarch Butterflies this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Last year I had batch after batch of Monarch caterpillars hatching on my milkweed. A dozen or so caterpillars can quickly chomp away all the leaves on a medium-ish sized plant and I was always scrambling to get more milkweed. This year, not only have I not had a single caterpillar, I haven't really seen any butterflies about.

I did get some Eastern Swallotails on one of my fennel plants, but not a single Monarch. As a result, my plants have actually put up seed a few times. Almost no one in my gardener's group has seen any this year either.

Are there Monarch Butterflies where you are this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last year I had batch after batch of Monarch caterpillars hatching on my milkweed. A dozen or so caterpillars can quickly chomp away all the leaves on a medium-ish sized plant and I was always scrambling to get more milkweed. This year, not only have I not had a single caterpillar, I haven't really seen any butterflies about.

I did get some Eastern Swallotails on one of my fennel plants, but not a single Monarch. As a result, my plants have actually put up seed a few times. Almost no one in my gardener's group has seen any this year either.

I saw 2 this year. Usually I see 100's. I live out in the country and have a lot of milkweed too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think I saw a few Monarch Butterflies this year, but I'm not sure if it wasn't a different specie. Those beautiful creatures fly so quickly!
Monarch Butterflies look like this, don't they?:

monarch-butterfly_630_600x450.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I saw a few Monarch Butterflies this year, but I'm not sure if it wasn't a different specie. Those beautiful creatures fly so quickly!
Monarch Butterflies look like this, don't they?:

monarch-butterfly_630_600x450.jpg
I could be a Monarch or it could be a Viceroy. They are almost identical. The only way to tell is if you can see the underside of the wing.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen a few in the front but not a many as usual. I don't remember seeing many caterpillars this spring either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@claudine, it looks like a Monarch to me.

The Queen and Viceroy butterflies are similar to Monarchs, but when you see them side by side, they don't seem as similar, at least not to me.

b8758853a6ec44df4ed699922504262a.jpg

This is the Queen:

ba261f84b9ed96f6065a80e33a74a56b.jpg

You can see the wings and bodies are all shaped slightly differently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing these pictures, now I see the difference. The color of Viceroy butterfly's wings is slightly darker, isn't it?
I must say I'm still not sure what species of butterflies visit my garden. I must get a closer look at them. I wish they weren't so scared of me and my dog;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing these pictures, now I see the difference. The color of Viceroy butterfly's wings is slightly darker, isn't it?
I must say I'm still not sure what species of butterflies visit my garden. I must get a closer look at them. I wish they weren't so scared of me and my dog;)
Yep, if they would only land side by side and stay there it would be easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@claudine and @Chuck, if you have the time to sit quietly at butterfly visiting time, you can just wait for them to visit. Taking photos of them can help to identify them late on because you have an instant reference. Certain species are attracted to certain plants so if you have those plants you have another means of narrowing down the identification.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have the time to sit quietly and watch butterflies, but my dog always tries to catch them:( To be alone in our garden, I'd have to lock him at home. I really don't want to do it.
So I only see flying butterflies, they don't dare to sit on plants for more than few seconds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's kind of funny, @claudine. I have a yard cat, which decided it lives at my home, then my aunt started to feed it, and now it is always around. (He's really cute!). Quite a few times I have had to tell him not to attack the other garden friendlies. He never messed with my newly emerged butterflies though.
1170873_10201601982709091_571466124_n.jpg

I call him Louis (lew-ee) Jardin. :) He's really funny. He may occasionally pet you, but you can't touch him. I tell him I should have named him scaredy cat.

Reaction score

It's funny you mention that... I haven't seen many at all this year. I think maybe one or two. :( I really miss that... they are so peaceful and I just love to see them flutter on by. Gives me a sense of just taking it all in. Relaxing and slowing things down for just a few minutes. I think we all need to do that from time to time. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's kind of funny, @claudine. I have a yard cat, which decided it lives at my home, then my aunt started to feed it, and now it is always around. (He's really cute!). Quite a few times I have had to tell him not to attack the other garden friendlies. He never messed with my newly emerged butterflies though.
1170873_10201601982709091_571466124_n.jpg

I call him Louis (lew-ee) Jardin. :) He's really funny. He may occasionally pet you, but you can't touch him. I tell him I should have named him scaredy cat.

He is so adorable!! I love cats, I wish they weren't so scared of my evil little Yorkie;)
I noticed two butterflies in this picture. They're so big! In my garden, I sometimes see butterflies that look quite alike, but they're much smaller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I haven't seen a monarch butterfly in person. I don't think we have that kind of butterfly here. Are they harmful?

Reaction score

I have seen zero, and I live in a place that is supposedly part of their route!!! I'm starting to worry, I have seen so few butterflies and bee, but on the brighter side I saw some humming birds some weeks ago! They were gorgeous :love::love::love::love::love: They thought my colorful clothespins were flowers lol. I disappointed them, since i have no flowers anymore :oops:

Ask a Question