Newly Germinated Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Shea! is correct on both accounts. I have never seen such a grotesque number of either of these extreme!y damaging pests, especia!!y in the same container. Where did this soi! come from? It must not under any circumstance be incorporated in your garden. Starting now drench the soi! of a!! of you p!ants with a spinosad so!ution. Hopefu!!y this wi!! work. I have been gardening for 60+ years and I have never seen something even c!ose to this. Something e!se that works very good on cutworms is S!uggoP!us. I don't know how it works on vine grubs but it shou!d

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
It's a miracle grow plant starting seed that I got from Home Depot. It's been in my garage for 3 weeks, and I check it every other day. it was the only one that did not germinate, so I looked at it thia morning and saw them. I pour some hot water over the cup, and I put it in a ziplock bag and place it in my trash can outside.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's a miracle grow plant starting seed that I got from Home Depot. It's been in my garage for 3 weeks, and I check it every other day. it was the only one that did not germinate, so I looked at it thia morning and saw them. I pour some hot water over the cup, and I put it in a ziplock bag and place it in my trash can outside.

View attachment 8863
Throw the who!e bag away. It is contaminated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
image.jpg

Wow, that is the same bag that i used for my earlier seed which I transplanted this morning. The only difference is that I follow truck instruction to plants the above seeds. I submerge the soil in hot water before planting them, but I did not do that for the one in the cups since they were planted earlier. Should I discard these plants too? Also, I noticed that they can disappear. When I saw them, I remove the clear plastic bag that was over the cup; they disappear for a second.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 8869

Wow, that is the same bag that i used for my earlier seed which I transplanted this morning. The only difference is that I follow truck instruction to plants the above seeds. I submerge the soil in hot water before planting them, but I did not do that for the one in the cups since they were planted earlier. Should I discard these plants too? Also, I noticed that they can disappear. When I saw them, I remove the clear plastic bag that was over the cup; they disappear for a second.
No, do not get rid of your p!ants. What we know is that one cup of that potting soi! is infested with cutworms and weevi!s. Those things come from eggs !aid by moths in the soi!. Did the moths just !ay eggs in that one cup or was the entire bag infested. We don't know. What we do know is that you have been having troub!e with something chewing on your p!ants and some p!ants just not growing right so it is possib!e that the entire garden is infested with them. Cutworms wi!! cut a seed!ing off at ground !eve! and eat the roots of !arger pants weakening them so that they don't grow much. Weevi!s eat the fo!iage. You have both symptoms. They both on!y feed at night so they are hard to see. I wou!d rake in S!uggoP!us and drench the entire garden with spinosad and never ever again use any type of Scotts product.

Ask a Question