Newbie planter

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I live in Northern Portugal and am currently starting my first veggie patch. I have just planted some herbs and lettuce and would like to add some other vegetables but I am unsure about what I can plant this time of year. I grew up in a big city and have only now started learning. Can you please help me with your ideas about some other veggies to plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Olá cruzie! How about planting some olive trees?

Reaction score
Welcome! I have also just started a garden and I am enjoying it!:D This forum is helping me quit a bit, and I am sure it will do the same for you.

Reaction score
Ola Becky,

My husband has planted quite a few trees. We have oranges, lemon, lime, peach, fig, apple and plum trees but no olive trees as of yet. I am thinking of planting lettuce, tomato and 60 day turnips. We have a deal, he's the tree man and I'm the veggie gal.... We're almost competing to see who is able to get the best results!

Reaction score
Welcome! I have also just started a garden and I am enjoying it!:D This forum is helping me quit a bit, and I am sure it will do the same for you.
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour. I know little about gardening but love giving it a go. Time will tell if I am successful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Beans.
Runner beans, French beans, any kind of beans. Plant them now, you'll fill your freezer by autumn.
Courgettes (zucchini) cucumbers, carrots, peas, spring onions, melons.

Reaction score
Beans.
Runner beans, French beans, any kind of beans. Plant them now, you'll fill your freezer by autumn.
Courgettes (zucchini) cucumbers, carrots, peas, spring onions, melons.

Thankyou so much for your ideas. I am looking forward to getting started on this ASAP!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Cruzie, you wouldn't perchance be originally from Brasil would you?
Only there's a very famous football club out there called Cruzeiro, and I wondered if that's how you chose your username.

Reaction score
Cruzie, you wouldn't perchance be originally from Brasil would you?
Only there's a very famous football club out there called Cruzeiro, and I wondered if that's how you chose your username.

Haha! No i'm actually Portuguese born, but I was raised in Australia and Cruzie was my childhood nickname. Coincidently my first and last name do share a link to Brasil. Before the arrival of the Europeans in 1500 Brasil used to be called Terras de...... Complete the title and you have my name!
I apologise for the off topic, but to get back on track I am now the proud mother of 6 tomato, 12 lettuce and 3 unidentified other plants! Hope to reap the fruits of my labour soon!

Ask a Question