Newbie needs easy grow veg!

Reaction score
You wont go to far wrong with leeks. They are by far and away something you can grow and not have too much in the way of failures. They don't get pests as much as other crops, except maybe a bit of rust but that's it. Plus they are winter hardy with a bit of care and protection.

Reaction score
We've got a new pest of Leeks now :(

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/pc27.php

Turned mine to mush a few seasons back, might have to start using fleece as a barrier.

Thanks for the link Ziggy. Not so good, but always important to keep up-to-date on the newest little nasties that we have to combat. Like there wasn't enough. We noticed ours getting a little mushy last year now I think about it. Thank again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mean to hijack this thread but since my question is also related to the question of the thread starter I'll just ask my question here. Are there any hanging vegetables that you can recommend me to plant? I'm planning to turn it into some kind of insulator for the heat of the sun on my rooftop garden and while at it, I want to be able to harvest it and eat it at the same time. I'm thinking eggplants so is it a good idea?
All vine plants will "hang"; it's basically using gravity to train them.

Reaction score
cucumbers are really easy to grow, and many herbs are as well!! Especially indoors as long as there is sunlight :D

Reaction score
Beans....Any kind of beans are super easy to grow and don't really take any tending at all. Corn is also another one that I have found is very easy and a quite hardy plant to grow.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Tomato's are definitely easy to grow. They take up so little space and can produce so many fruit. Cucumbers and green beans grow really easily from what I've seen and heard. A few friends of mine say that carrots are really easy for them.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Some of the vegetables that can be grown easily are tomato, squash, spinach, cauliflower. These vegetables take small space and can be grown without difficulty.

Ask a Question