Newb Question about Split in Tomato Stem - Canker?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I’m a newbie to gardening, this my second year. I have been lazily watering overhead until my summer law school classes let out because I’m strapped for time (I also work full-time) but did not want to forego my gardening season because of a 6-week summer term.

Anyway, I’m now afraid that my watering tactic has led to disease. Pictured is a mountain princess tomato plant, and as you can see the stem has a split in it. I sprayed it with a neem solution, for better or worse, but I need help identifying the issue. Does this look like it could be the start of a bacterial canker, or something else?

Also included a pic of the entire plant for “context.”

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• AE97681F-1FCE-4BBC-A623-D39164BA3565.jpeg
    AE97681F-1FCE-4BBC-A623-D39164BA3565.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 6BCE3D88-4588-4365-B807-33D8E08EC3DC.jpeg
    6BCE3D88-4588-4365-B807-33D8E08EC3DC.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi! I’m a newbie to gardening, this my second year. I have been lazily watering overhead until my summer law school classes let out because I’m strapped for time (I also work full-time) but did not want to forego my gardening season because of a 6-week summer term.

Anyway, I’m now afraid that my watering tactic has led to disease. Pictured is a mountain princess tomato plant, and as you can see the stem has a split in it. I sprayed it with a neem solution, for better or worse, but I need help identifying the issue. Does this look like it could be the start of a bacterial canker, or something else?

Aldo included a pic of the entire plant for “context.”

Thanks for any help!
Don't worry about it. This is very common in tomatoes when they receive too much water and cannot out grow it. If you would have had large fruit on the plant it would have split as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't worry about it. This is very common in tomatoes when they receive too much water and cannot out grow it. If you would have had large fruit on the plant it would have split as well.
Thank you! All of my tomatoes that actually grew last year split, so good to know that I should probably let off the water a bit, in general. Very helpful.

Ask a Question