Newbie with Silly Question...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

So my mom has this thing stuck in some soil inside, and I am wondering if I stick it in water for awhile, will roots form? Will I be able to replant? Is it a lost cause? Am I just a dummy? Lol.

Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• 20151119_111358.jpg
    20151119_111358.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 20151119_111351.jpg
    20151119_111351.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 266
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks like cut asparagus. Theoretically it is possibly to form a root crown from a shoot but you will win the lottery before that happens. And if perchance it does root you have to plant it somewhere and nurse it for 2 or 3 years before you can start harvesting it or it might make a fern in about a year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome @Cupcake. Where did your mom get this? How long has she had it stuck in soil and has it grown at all in that period of time?

Asparagus or maybe lucky bamboo? I grow asparagus and it doesn't look much like that, with multiple shoots and that dry-looking skin or bark or whatever that papery brown stuff is. But maybe that's what it looks like when it's dug up.

If it's asparagus, what Chuck said. Otherwise, what the heck, stick it in a jar of water, put it in a sunny window and see what happens. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome @Cupcake. Where did your mom get this? How long has she had it stuck in soil and has it grown at all in that period of time?

Asparagus or maybe lucky bamboo? I grow asparagus and it doesn't look much like that, with multiple shoots and that dry-looking skin or bark or whatever that papery brown stuff is. But maybe that's what it looks like when it's dug up.

If it's asparagus, what Chuck said. Otherwise, what the heck, stick it in a jar of water, put it in a sunny window and see what happens. :)
It very well could be bamboo. Let's just hope it is clumping if it is.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That looks like bamboo to me. But I agree, stick it in some water and a sunny spot and see what happens. If it does start a root put it in a pot of soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines

It looks like the Korean lucky bamboo to me. Well, I think you are doing all right by putting it in water and as @Beth_B had said, place it where there is sunlight so in case it grows, it can have the power of photosynthesis. And if it happens that it is asparagus, I guess you just have to cook it than let it go rot because asparagus shoots don't develop without the roots.

Ask a Question