New Veggie garden

Reaction score
In the Mediterranean, they use polytunnels to protect their plants from the sun and to keep in moisture.

They do commercially, but if you want to use one in your garden here, you have to have a license, which is extortionately expensive.
Some of my neighbors have had them in the past, but with the unpleasant experience of finding them either blown or washed away, plants and all, due to the storm force winter winds and torrential rain we get in some areas of the Mediterranean. :(

Reaction score
They do commercially, but if you want to use one in your garden here, you have to have a license, which is extortionately expensive.
Some of my neighbors have had them in the past, but with the unpleasant experience of finding them either blown or washed away, plants and all, due to the storm force winter winds and torrential rain we get in some areas of the Mediterranean. :(

Yeah, my brother's in-laws keep having this problem. They stubbornly keep thinking they just need the right equipment, but I think it's a lost cause. Of course knowing them they just enjoy complaining about it all the time XD

Reaction score
That's a lot of sun. I can relate because I tried to grow vegetables in the hot climate of Texas. Most vegetable plants that require "full sun" need about 8 hours and more than that seemed to kill my plants. I think it was mainly from lack of water.

The best thing you can do is put a lot of mulch around the plants and water them often enough to keep up with the heat. Do your watering in the evening.

I'd say that the shade nets are probably your best bet to give your plants some protection from too much sun.

I am from Jamaica, and many farmers which plant vegetables on a wide scale often have this problem when planting in our very sunny climate. I have some family members who are farmers and they use mulching and try to water the plants as much as they can. Some farmers who can afford to do this, use the drip irrigation method to prevent they "drying up" of their vegetables.

Reaction score
Yes, an irrigation system is a wonderful thing and many of the farmers in Texas use those too. It would be easy to make one for home use. You can just take an old piece of hose and cut some holes into it and lay it along your garden plants. Then turn on the water at a very slow rate. We had to do this because some areas of the ground were hard and the water took longer to absorb. If you watered normally, a lot of it would just run off from the area that you need it.

Ask a Question