Managing a Backyard Veggie Garden

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I always include veggies in my meal plan. To cut costs, I manage to plant them in our very little backyard. My problem was the space I need to plant several varieties.The implementation of the waste management law (RA 9003) brought wonderful ideas to my problem. Recycling was the answer. Used tires were planted with veggies, empty plastic bottles were also planted with spices like green onions. In no time, I was able to create a veggie-landscape in our little yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd love to see some photos or get more information! Space isn't an issue for me but I like clever recycling ideas. :)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'd love to see some photos or get more information! Space isn't an issue for me but I like clever recycling ideas. :)
Your request is taken, I'll post pictures the soonest possible. I don't usually take pictures so I don't have a file right now. I appreciate your interest in recycling and I'd love to share it with you.

One tip though, there are a lot of recycling ideas in the web- just a press of a finger and you'll have it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like a great solution and I am glad you will get to eat those vegetables soon. It is always taste better from our own garden than buying, at least it is for me.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Sounds like a great solution and I am glad you will get to eat those vegetables soon. It is always taste better from our own garden than buying, at least it is for me.
Me, too. That's why I planted my own veggies. Not only that I'm assured that they're fresh, I was also able to save up my budget.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I always include veggies in my meal plan. To cut costs, I manage to plant them in our very little backyard. My problem was the space I need to plant several varieties.The implementation of the waste management law (RA 9003) brought wonderful ideas to my problem. Recycling was the answer. Used tires were planted with veggies, empty plastic bottles were also planted with spices like green onions. In no time, I was able to create a veggie-landscape in our little yard.
Your veggie landscape sounds really interesting Bezcampz. I'd love to see some photos too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the idea of old tires. If you plant potatoes in them you don't have to dig all over looking for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Like you, we are backyard farmers with vegetables for consumption. Right now what we have are not that many because of the rainy season - fruiting pepper, pandan leaves, squash that grows wild, sweet camote that has nutritious young leaves, mint and fruits like dragon fruit, star fruit, cashew, lemon, and some others plants that bear fruits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Like many others I grow lot of veggies that I like, its cheaper to grow your own and you know its fresh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
We dug out a space in our backyard and just made a border with bricks, to differentiate the space between our lawn and our veggie patch. It seems to have functioned pretty well so far! I like the idea of using old tires too. I think these days recycling and reusing things is a great way of committing to an eco-friendly lifestyle which is something I'm endeavouring to do more and more of.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really love the idea of incorporating recycling with gardening. I have to admit that I never saw the potential before. I have a fair amount of room in my backyard and it's so great to just go outside and pick fresh peppers, herbs and spices along with some carrots and potatoes over in the corner. I'll really take a closer look at using containers like empty plastic bottles perhaps to help restrict the spread of some of these plants that like to spread roots and take over everything. @Bezcampz I would also love to see some photos of your arrangement. It sounds very cool.

Ask a Question