What's growing by my veggie garden?

Reaction score
I've recently planted a new raised veggie garden with a cardboard/newspaper liner underneath it. It's been a rainy few days and a bit of the cardboard sticks out from underneath the garden, so it's stayed moist for at least 3-4 days now.

I decided to lift some of it up to look at what bugs were around and discovered a few sprouts. I know we dropped a couple seeds when planting but know for a fact it was not in this specific area.

Any ideas? It seems to be growing fairly fast, as yesterday just the colored portions were barely above ground. I can get a better pic tomorrow if this one won't do
Thanks in advance!

9la3iv.jpg

Reaction score
Well if you lived in the Midwest of the USA I would call the round leaf ground ivy. I have no idea what the sprout is.

Why don't you just lay the cardboard liner down again? I would think that it would take time to let the weeds sprout and then die!

Reaction score
We have ground ivy in the Northeast and I would say that would be a good guess. There are quite a few plants that look similar to it though. Give it some more time to grow and send another photo so we can be sure. Ground ivy is harmless and occasionally a pain but it never threatens anything around it.

Reaction score
Your sprout could be one of so many things - but the fact that it is growing quickly tells me it is some sort of weed rather than a dropped seed and unless you really need it or want to keep it to see what it turns out to be - I would get rid of it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I couldn't tell you what plant this is from the sprout picture but I would say if your sure that you hadn't dropped seeds in this area and it has managed to randomly sprout on its on with rapid growth I would say it's most likely a weed. You could see what it is by letting it grow out if it is getting in the way if what you actually want to plant I'd just get rid of it rather then plant around it only to discover it's an undesirable plant later on when it's big enough for you to tell.

Ask a Question