New plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband came home from Sam’s club a couple of days ago with a new plant for me. I believe it is in the rubber tree family?? Don’t know all the technical names yet as I am new to these types of plants.
It was very wobbly in the pot so I put a moss stake to hold it steady. Should I repot it and make it not wobbly?
Also it has three leaves that are turning brown. What should I do? Leave them alone or cut them off?
Sorry I wrote you all a book 😞
I also have a very neglected Swiss cheese plant I am going to ask for help with. But one plant at a time 😊 thank you for any help.
Can’t remember how to post pictures

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant.

Attachments

• IMG_3241.jpeg
    IMG_3241.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3243.jpeg
    IMG_3243.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3244.jpeg
    IMG_3244.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3245.jpeg
    IMG_3245.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3245.jpeg
    IMG_3245.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3244.jpeg
    IMG_3244.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is Ficus Elastica. I think you need to be careful with watering. Either the plant is over-watered and suffering from rotting roots, or not watered sufficiently.
The brown leaves can all be removed. I would take this whole plant out of the pot and inspect the compost and the roots. Re pot it into fresh compost (have it ready before you start). Do this as long as the roots are not rotten.
If all ok at this point, water thoroughly, allowing the water to run through the pot and drain away. Then leave it alone until the compost feels quite dry before watering again thoroughly.
Incorrect watering is usually the main cause of problems in pot plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much. I haven’t watered it at all but will do as you say tomorrow.
If it has bad roots it’s going back to Sam’s club.

Reaction score
Country
India
No worries at all! It's great that your husband got you a new plant. If it's a rubber tree or a similar plant, a bit of wobbling in the pot is normal. However, if it's extremely wobbly and doesn't seem stable, you can consider repotting it into a slightly larger pot with well-draining soil to give it more stability.

As for the browning leaves, it's common for plants to shed older or damaged leaves. You can trim them off to improve the plant's appearance, but make sure to use clean, sharp scissors or pruning shears. Keep an eye on the new growth to ensure it's healthy.

If you want to post pictures in the future, you can usually do so by clicking an image icon or using the "Attach Image" option if available in the forum's text editor.

Feel free to ask about your Swiss cheese plant when you're ready. Happy gardening! 😊🌱

Ask a Question