Can roses damage a garden wall if planted too close to it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is an argument going on in our household concerning the roses we have in the front garden.

There's a row of them right at the front, approx. 15cm from the wall. The roses don't touch the wall themselves but their roots may well have grown underneath it by now; they've been there a good 25-30 years. The wall is older, rapidly loosing its pointing and the bricks are coming loose which I put down to its age, weathering and damp penetration but my partner is convinced it is the roses at fault and sees it as an excuse to chop them all down.

Could the roses be contributing to the damage in any way, even a tiny bit, or are they 100% innocent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can grow roses close to walls and they will be fine for decades. The roots are not invasive like vines can be - especially Ivy. There is NO WAY your roses will be causing damage. The old wall however will fall down eventually all by itself if it is not maintained.
I have seen older walls belly out and fall down due to weather conditions etc. A few years ago I decided to remove all the ivy from our garden wall.....mistake! It turned out that the ivy was actually supporting the wall and holding it together. It fell down!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can grow roses close to walls and they will be fine for decades. The roots are not invasive like vines can be - especially Ivy. There is NO WAY your roses will be causing damage. The old wall however will fall down eventually all by itself if it is not maintained.
I have seen older walls belly out and fall down due to weather conditions etc. A few years ago I decided to remove all the ivy from our garden wall.....mistake! It turned out that the ivy was actually supporting the wall and holding it together. It fell down!!!

I'm sure the ivy that is encroaching into in our back garden is largely responsible for keeping my neighbour's fence standing so I completely believe your story . XD

Do rose roots tend to grow down and not spread out much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main tap roots go down and look for water. If there is any damp ''problem'' for the wall, the roses will help rather than hinder the problem. They also have smaller fine fibrous roots which spread out a bit to stabilise the plants. None of these roots will cause damage to the wall. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main tap roots go down and look for water. If there is any damp ''problem'' for the wall, the roses will help rather than hinder the problem. They also have smaller fine fibrous roots which spread out a bit to stabilise the plants. None of these roots will cause damage to the wall. (y)

Great!

But my partner seems determined to execute them regardless... so if, in order to save them, I needed to dig them up and move them, would that even be possible and would they tolerate it? Is it better done at certain times of the year?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only problem with planting close to a wall or a tall fence is it can block the sun's location. If you plant where it gets mostly shade all day, then it would be in the wrong spot. Make sure they get a minimum of at least 6 hours or more of direct sun exposure. More than 6 hours would be better the more the better. If I plant a knee-high plant on the shady side of the fence it won't grow at all. It will stay alive but it won't grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great!

But my partner seems determined to execute them regardless... so if, in order to save them, I needed to dig them up and move them, would that even be possible and would they tolerate it? Is it better done at certain times of the year?
If you are going to dig up roses make sure and dig them when they are dormant in the winter. Also when you plant dormant roses, don't plant them too deep in the soil because it can lead to fungus problems later.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only problem with planting close to a wall or a tall fence is it can block the sun's location. If you plant where it gets mostly shade all day, then it would be in the wrong spot. Make sure they get a minimum of at least 6 hours or more of direct sun exposure. More than 6 hours would be better the more the better. If I plant a knee-high plant on the shady side of the fence it won't grow at all. It will stay alive but it won't grow.

We get lots of sun most of the day in both the front and back garden. The wall they are sitting behind at the moment is only about 2ft tall so they tower over it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are going to dig up roses make sure and dig them when they are dormant in the winter. Also when you plant dormant roses, don't plant them too deep in the soil because it can lead to fungus problems later.

Will do.

Searched for rose fungus to see what it looks like and to be honest, they look like they already have that. I had thought they've been looking a bit miserable and less leafy for a while. What other ways do they get that and what do I do about it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Pirrip If he's that insistent, either get rid of him and swap him for a better one, or else cut your roses down to about 12 inches, remove them to a water trough or bucket for a good drink and re plant as soon as you can in a suitable place. As long as they are watered in and firmed down well they will be OK. Roses are surprisingly tough. Good luck on all counts ;)

Ask a Question