New plant owner, help please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I just started owning plants, I started off with a False Aralia. I have been keeping it on my desk but it doesn't look too great now, I fear I may have under/overwatered it but I can't tell as I'm pretty new. Any advice or insight? Pics included

Attachments

• IMG_20160201_101801431.jpg
    IMG_20160201_101801431.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20160201_101807327.jpg
    IMG_20160201_101807327.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 262
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, too much water. Stick your index finger completely into the soil. If the soil is even slightly damp it does not need water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yep, too much water. Stick your index finger completely into the soil. If the soil is even slightly damp it does not need water.
Thank you! IF you don't mind, could you tell me how you know? From what I've read, overwatered plants will curl and droop like mine but so do underwatered so I am finding it difficult to tell. Additionally, I've read that false arelia don't need direct sunlight so just sticking them on my desk in the living room should be good for light right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! IF you don't mind, could you tell me how you know? From what I've read, overwatered plants will curl and droop like mine but so do underwatered so I am finding it difficult to tell. Additionally, I've read that false arelia don't need direct sunlight so just sticking them on my desk in the living room should be good for light right?
Underwatering causes droopiness, leaf tip and margin browning first. Your plant is showing leaf curl and entire leaf death. When you water, completely saturate the soil and let the excess drain out of the hole in the bottom of the pot. Do not water again until the top inch or two is completely dry. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often.. Remove the damaged and dead leaves. Your sunlight should be OK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Underwatering causes droopiness, leaf tip and margin browning first. Your plant is showing leaf curl and entire leaf death. When you water, completely saturate the soil and let the excess drain out of the hole in the bottom of the pot. Do not water again until the top inch or two is completely dry. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often.. Remove the damaged and dead leaves. Your sunlight should be OK

Okay thanks a lot I really appreciate it

Ask a Question