New greenhouse advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Based on what I have seen, you definitely should make more...very helpful recommendations that benefit a lot of readers.

Recommendations, like yours, based on actual experience are the absolute best IMO.
Well said - I totally agree with that !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually don't make recommendations but I feel strongly about what I'm about to tell you. I built an 8X10 wood frame greenhouse 10 years ago and covered it with greenhouse plastic, 2 layers. Since the original building I've easily extended it twice and it is now 8X32. This year I'm going to upgrade the exterior to double wall polycarbonate with 4' half walls (want it to look a little nicer). My only regret was not making it 10-12 feet wide originally and widing it now would be a lot of work. The 2X4 frame is like new even after 10 years and easy to attach things to.
If I was siting it on an allotment, or I had a huge garden with an area set aside for agriculture then I might take that option. However, it will be in my modest garden, I don’t have a workshop with woodworking tools, and a green aluminium greenhouse will look quite nice. It is very windy, and toughened glass is ideal. Also I suspect wood is much cheaper where you are.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I was siting it on an allotment, or I had a huge garden with an area set aside for agriculture then I might take that option. However, it will be in my modest garden, I don’t have a workshop with woodworking tools, and a green aluminium greenhouse will look quite nice. It is very windy, and toughened glass is ideal. Also I suspect wood is much cheaper where you are.
Nuff said! Hope you are happy with your new greenhouse. :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the replies, even if I did not follow your advice, it helps to hear different viewpoints in case I missed something important. I placed the order today, £500, now I have to make a concrete footing and small wall. Deep joy.

Ask a Question