Leaky too hot too cold polycarb greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United States
8 yr old polycarb greenhouse has never worked as intended. Hired someone to put together...what did I know. Way too cold in winter, roof leaks. From what I've read here I suspect the ends of the sheets were not sealed properly or at all. Is there a way to seal without removing the sheets...like on the outside? There are 3 large climbing roses on the north side trellis next to it but I'm not opposed to whacking those back to gain access to the roof. Better yet, seal from inside? Grows great begonias, tomatoes, geraniums and tropicals otherwise. Do have pavers on sand for floor. I have a romanticized vision of sitting out there during a snow, sipping some tea and listening to music but the water barrel, bubble wrap and thin silver insulation ruin it a bit. Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The trick is to spend a lot of money on heating and cooling. Maintaining a growing environment during extreme weather conditions can cost a bundle. Can you post a photo of the greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The trick is to spend a lot of money
Not a trick I can afford. I found some white gaffer tape (duct tape) and went around the edges, next time I shall use clear silicon as I put the sheets in. Really hot days I remove the window and leave the door open.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The trick is to spend a lot of money on heating and cooling. Maintaining a growing environment during extreme weather conditions can cost a bundle. Can you post a photo of the greenhouse.
The cooling part is the tricky thing. The doors are on the east side with the hot afternoon sun which I do leave open. I now have one of those thermometers that gives a current read of temp and humidity remotely so I can run out and try to cool. I heard once that a greenhouse takes as much dedication as owning a pet. Too true. At least I don't have to take it for a walk😁. May just have to empty it for the remainder of the summer and try the aluminum tape on parts. Will update with successes and failures. Thanks for input.

Reaction score
Country
United States
8 yr old polycarb greenhouse has never worked as intended. Hired someone to put together...what did I know. Way too cold in winter, roof leaks. From what I've read here I suspect the ends of the sheets were not sealed properly or at all. Is there a way to seal without removing the sheets...like on the outside? There are 3 large climbing roses on the north side trellis next to it but I'm not opposed to whacking those back to gain access to the roof. Better yet, seal from inside? Grows great begonias, tomatoes, geraniums and tropicals otherwise. Do have pavers on sand for floor. I have a romanticized vision of sitting out there during a snow, sipping some tea and listening to music but the water barrel, bubble wrap and thin silver insulation ruin it a bit. Any advice appreciated.
I experience the same temperature fluctuations. I have a propane heater and a wood burner (a lot of work) and finally decided the only way to practically use the greenhouse is for season extension. In the summer it can be ventilated to help keep it cool but December, January, and February are to expensive and labor intensive to worry with. Not a bad place to overwinter plants.

Ask a Question