New Berry Patch Questions and Requests for Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I am reaching out with some questions and requests for advice regarding my new berry patch. Pretty new to this so I would greatly appreciate your guidance and explanations using beginner-friendly terminology :).

Irrigation System: Currently, I have an irrigation system connected to my hose system, which is linked to the rainpoint WiFi system. I have attached a video to demonstrate the irrigation system in action. However, I'm uncertain about the frequency and timing of watering. It is currently set to water once a day at 6 am, misting for 60 seconds. Please refer to the video to assess the amount of water being dispersed. I would greatly appreciate advice on how often and how much I should water the plants. Ideally, I need a single schedule that can work for all the plants, as they are connected to one water line.

Video of Irrigation system: (I don't know why it says 18+ lol)

Soil Concerns: I have purchased a soil meter from Amazon, but I have come across information online about the pH of the soil. I'm unsure how to approach this aspect. Could you please provide guidance on how to measure and adjust the pH of the soil for optimal growth?

Fertilization Frequency: How often should I fertilize these plants to ensure healthy growth and, more importantly, sweet berries?

Mulching: I have seen recommendations online suggesting the use of mulch in berry patches. Should I incorporate mulch into my garden? If so, how will it benefit the plants and their berry sweetness?

Planting Arrangement: I am aware that blackberries and raspberries are not typically supposed to be planted next to each other due to the risk of disease. However, I am willing to take that risk, provided I prune them properly. Are there any additional precautions or measures I should take to minimize the potential for disease?

Additionally, I have a specific layout request for my berry patch:

- I want to move the "Royalty" variety to the area where the other royalties are located.

- Ideally, I'd like to relocate the three "Carolines" to the front and move the "Anne" variety to the back. However, I am concerned that moving them might cause them to die. Would appreciate some feedback here.

- It has been approximately a week since the plants were planted.

Lastly, my main goal is to grow really sweet berries. If anyone has any advice or tips on how to achieve this, I would be extremely grateful for your input.

For reference, I purchased the raspberries from Indiana Berry and Co., the blackberries from Stark Bros, and the strawberries from Stark Bros and Home Depot (only the Bonnie plant one).

If anyone notices any issues or has general advice regarding my berry patch, please let me know. I greatly appreciate your support.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance!

Attachments

• blackberry.jpeg
    blackberry.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 3
  • rainpoint.jpeg
    rainpoint.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2
  • raspberry.jpeg
    raspberry.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 2
  • strawberry.jpeg
    strawberry.jpeg