Needing basil tips!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
When I was out this morning I counted six monarch caterpillars. Some were fairly mature and one was still fairly young. I lost a couple when they migrated to one of my zinnias and I didn't realize it. I moved the plant and found two dead caterpillars and another crawling on the porch step.

The rest were nestled in one of the marigold this morning; for the life of me I can't figure out why since they can only digest milkweed until they are almost ready to get into the J position. One had crawled so far away it may not have made it back had I not noticed and returned it to the milkweed. Silly caterpillars!

More cutworms and snails to contend with this morning... I just pick up the plant and use a stick to get the cutworms off. That seems to deter them a bit.

Reaction score
I've really wanted to grow basil, because it is my favorite herb too. Alot of the recipes I like call for basil, either dried or fresh. It's good that it's so hot and sunny here. Basil should grow really well. I got some not too long ago and it it's been sprouting wonderfully. I came here for some tips and I am already doing what is advised so I recommend it completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've really wanted to grow basil, because it is my favorite herb too. Alot of the recipes I like call for basil, either dried or fresh. It's good that it's so hot and sunny here. Basil should grow really well. I got some not too long ago and it it's been sprouting wonderfully. I came here for some tips and I am already doing what is advised so I recommend it completely.

I got some in the produce share "box" at the farmer's market. I decided to cut it down and see if I could sprout it. If it works out I'll have several new plants! It'll be the first time I've managed to propagate from cuttings if it works, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm trying not to invest too much so I can be excited if they work out, lol.

Reaction score
Just pinch off the tips to let the plant branch and bush out. I have noticed that seedlings in the sun do very well especially those with their tips pinched off. Don't feel bad about going snip, snip.. you will enjoy your basil for a long time to come. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, all of my cuttings have wilted and withered away already except one. I think it's a humidity issue so I am trying it under a plastic bottle cloche. I just have to remember to remove the cloche overnight and let the cutting get some air. Fingers crossed with this one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow my basil in the greenhouse, because I find that it seems to like neither the change in temp between day and night, nor the wind.
I think it really needs sheltered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grow my basil in the greenhouse, because I find that it seems to like neither the change in temp between day and night, nor the wind.
I think it really needs sheltered.

I really think that is the key, but I think if I had it in an outdoor greenhouse it would just be too hot here. My mom gave me one like this for my birthday:
portable_greenhouse.jpg

I haven't put it together yet because it would just be a plant rack at this point though I'd like to get more low growing herbs and food plants that might be ideal for sitting on it, but I don't want to fill it up because I will need the space later. I'll have to see about maybe getting some mesh to go over it so I can sprout some seeds and not have the tiny plants disappear.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depending on where you live it might be best to grow it in doors. My winters get very cold so my basil dies if I don't bring it inside. I know that it requires a lot of watering. I usually water it every day if not every other at the very least.
Also, when you pick the leaves pick them from the top. This will allow the plant to grow back bushier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Think of Basil as a pleasant weather plant, it grows well in what we think of as pleasant weather. If you are short in that area (pleasant weather) you will need to create a pleasant weather place.

I grow Basil year round, outside late spring through mid summer. Greenhouse fall through early spring. Look for little micro climate places outside too. I have a table that has a lower shelf, the lower shelf is shaded more that the top of the table, that helps moderate summer heat and allows me to extend my Basil growing by using that spot.

Relatively warm, sunny (or well lit) spot. Use a smallish container 4" - 6". good quality potting soil and some of the easier variety seeds like Large Leaf, Italian, or Genovese.

Depending on what your planting in use 3 to 7 or so seeds. In something small like the first picture below 3 or 4, in a 4" pot like the next picture about 7. A single Basil plant in a single container won't do you much, they can be a little spindly, be generous with the seeds.

Expect germination in 7 days or so, pinch it a little when there are 3rd or 4 sets of leafs. Pinching the tops will result in the lower leafs generating more leafs so you'll get bushy instead of taller and thinner. In 6 to 8 weeks and you should be able to start cutting for cooking. You should be able to cut it pretty hard for cooking 3 or 4 times.

Water as needed... Cycle from moist to almost dry, to moist, to almost dry. Never too wet for too long. Once they get a little larger, try to water the soil and not directly on the Basil plant. Very Easy. With a good quality potting soil you shouldn't really need fertilizer.

You can use one of those little ChanellG shows in post #37, I started out using one just like it.

Both pictures below are of Basil.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Ask a Question