Need advice on spider plant

Reaction score
I've kept spider plants for many years, and always had many plantlets hanging on the runners under the pots. Yesterday my niece asked me what I did to get them to reproduce. She has had one for three years now, and it's doing well, EXCEPT that it has not produced a single plantlet! Does anyone have any 'tricks' to get them to multiply?
John

Reaction score
While they aren't fussy plants they do have certain needs in order to reproduce. They need good sunlight and they also like to be a bit root bound in order to reproduce. Also, they are fairly heavy feeders so fertilize and water are important.

Reaction score
I am not an expert, but I have noticed that my spider plants go through natural stages when they produce less off-shoots. I don't worry much about it, as long as they look healthy and vibrant. To my mind, they just need a break from all that reproductive work to gather new energy.

Reaction score
They do go through cycles as far as reproducing plantlets, its just a part of nature. I know when my plant is a bit root bound that it really has at it because its root growth has become impeded. Think a bunion on a foot that has been wearing shoes that are too tight.

Reaction score
Mine reproduced so easily, in my opinion they are the easiest plants to take care of and don't really need a lot in order to reproduce. Just water them when the soil is dry enough and place the plant in spot with enough sun light. That should do the trick. It always works for me at least :) I'm sure it's that way for most.

Reaction score
After three years in the same pot, I'd think it WOULD be root-bound. (I haven't actually SEEN the plant.) I know that some shrubs (Forsythia) that aren't blooming very well can be rejuvenated by trimming their roots. Has anyone ever tried this with houseplants? I know I'm comparing apples to bananas here, but just wondering! :confused:
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I love spider plants. :) Used to have a lot and reading this thread is tempting me into getting some more!

Reaction score
Funny, isn't it? You start thinking about something you once had, and the first thing you know, you're checking them out in the stores. I just have to get one again!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All I ever did for mine was water it. It's looking a little pale, but it has multiple spiders. I started it a little over a year ago from a spider from someone else's plant. I barely even look at it, really. Maybe she could try giving it epsom salt.

Ask a Question